Hi

I'm new to the forum, although I've probably scanned posts in the past.  I was diagnosed with throat cancer in October 2016 (on my birthday).  As I'm sure many on here are aware, it is one big roller coaster ride of emotions.  My treatment was 7 weeks of daily radiotherapy and a couple of chemotherapy sessions.  I certainly wasn't prepared for the traumatic results of the treatment.  I thought that I'd get through the 7 weeks, and then start recovering and be back to work a couple of weeks later.  Gosh was I wrong!  Recovery can be slow and extremely depressing if you're not expecting it. 

I'm hoping I can maybe help others going through similar experiences (getting off an NG tube is not easy!).

• Hi ormsky

Sorry it sorry to here about ur diagnosis 

I don’t have that but have got six weeks radiotherapy ahead end of month I’m really scared and want to know of others who going or have got to go through it and find out more 

also was told of possible peg fitting or nasal one which I can’t believe wats happening and I really hope u get better soon as like u hoping back to work end of March we will see 

take care 

pauline 

• My experience of the radiotherapy was that for the first 2 weeks I had no problem with it at all and could eat normally (although I had a chemo session at the start which made me very ill for a couple of days).  Towards the end of the third week I realised that some foods were getting harder to swallow, and feeling scratchy on my throat.  At the end of the third week I had another chemo session which was really awful, I was really ill and couldn't eat or drink anything for 2 or 3 days.  During the fourth week I wasn't eating anything, and was losing weight.  So in the fifth week I had a nasal feeding tube fitted.  It was very unpleasant, but obviously necessary.

There were lots of horrible side affects for months after the treatment finished, but your experience may be very different to mine.  It depends on where abouts the affected area is (mine was the base of the tongue), every persons cancer and treatment will be different.

I'm very sorry but it's a horrible ordeal to go through,  all I can say is that it does come to an end, and there will be plenty of support and people wanting to help you along the way.

• Hi 

really sounds like u ha e been through a tough time but glad to hear it does come to an end although at the moment I’m imaging all sorts I know I should not but can’t help it wat u hear is awful 

mine is for larynx left vocal chord but they want to treat whole neck area which has really thrown me as u had surgery to remove  lesion and thought that was it 

how are u doing now 

pauline 

• Where I was treated, I think I've lost about half of my saliva glands so I sometimes get a very dry mouth but it's not too bad.  I sometimes need a drink to help get some food down, but again it's not that bad and I can get on with my life.  I would imagine you won't be singing for a while, but hopefully you'll get back to normal.  Your oncologist should explain to you all the possible side affects.   

I was 49 when I had my treatment, but I was quite fit which I think helped a bit.  I was a complete mess after the treatment finished, but I'm now back to getting fit and going to the gym.  My aim is to get fit enough to do a sprint triathlon this year.  So please don't despair, it is possible to get back to normal life after the treatment.

• Hi there they have mentioned about dry mouth and sore swallowing problems and maybe a peg feed or other also all the other nasty side effects this was from oncology she was very matter of fact wish really scared me and I have really battled about going ahead 

they were going to take all my teeth as said about gum disease and the chance I will have dental problems but o cud not go through  with having all removed as already been through surgery twice for lesion ect 

so she had a chat said they will do it and I will have problems but I guess they will deal with that as it happens if I’m hoping not 

and yes also I will be hourse or lose voice so that’s upset me as some of the effects can last I heard long term as well 

Its great u do gym and keep fit and I walk and keep busy so hoping like u I be good as u say if it’s that bad by end of treatment I plan to keep up with walking ect as I go through it and after so fingers crossed 

this is sure unreal I am still in denial I am 53 

thank you and hope we can stay in touch 

• That sounds awful.  I guess I was lucky with my teeth; only thing I have is that I now have to use special tooth paste (Duraphat 5000).  My oncologist was also very blunt with the facts about the treatment and the side affects, and I remember being terrified like you are now.  But I think they need be; it's better to be prepared and know what you're in for.

My experience was a continuous series of emotional ups and downs (it has to be said they were mainly downs for the first 6 months), but things do get better.  It's now just over a year since I completed my treatment and I'm back to living a normal life again.  Our cancers and treatments are all different so I don't know what your long term outcome will be, but I know what you're going through.  It is tough but once you start your recovery you will get over it and move on.

Wish I could do more to help you, I hope it all works out.

• Hi yes really awful said I have gum disease that’s why wanted to take all can’t belive as always looked after them and apart from a few they looked ok for my age It’s so positive to hear ur Experian was and the fact u are living a normal life again Shows here is hope after And yes like u having more down days the nearer it gets to starting radiotherapy I guess as thought surgery was last of treatment Like u say everyone is different but hoping it won’t be to bad in the end and after finish I am not feeling brave at all And don’t worry just being there and answering me is loads of help thank you again
  • Glad I'm of some help, I wish I'd used the forum when I was going through it.  You don't need to be brave, it's not like we have much of a choice.  You just have to get through it, which I'm sure you will. 

• Yes glad I have found this forum at least I have some were to turn 

can’t really talk to anyone else except a few people but find it harder with family as think they to having a hard time coping with it 

And won’t even hear of me not having radiotherapy even though I was against it after having surgery 

Yes not a case of being brave I guess it’s just no choice in it and some how u get by thank you again