Hello

Hi I am 53 , just married my partner of 29 years . Got 3 kids and a new grandson. Was really looking forward to Christmas with them all . 

Last week while putting on my fentanyl patches ( I have mixedconnective tissue disease, which is Lupus, Scleroderma, Raynaulds, rheumatoid arthritis and EDS) I noticed a mole that hurt to touch and was bigger all of a sudden. I went to my GP’s yesterday to get it checked out and they took 3 photos and sent them off to the dermatologist. Told me it was routine with someone who has reduced immunity - I take immunosuppressants. 

Today I have been phoned up and given an “urgent” appointment at the dermatologist multi discipline clinic next week.

i know most melanoma etc if caught early are curable but I went to see my GP 3 years ago about the same mole when it bled a couple times - it’s not since - he said then I must have caught it which I can’t remember doing. I am a practically blue skinned, freckley northern Scot who is now worried sick. 

‘Not even sure why I am posting really, maybe for reassurance or moral support . I don’t know 

• Hi Fayw,

I'm not medically qualified but I have been a melanoma patient for many years so I know a little about the subject. From what you say I think you probably have caught this early, should it turn out to be melanoma. It's unusual for a mole to bleed & then stop bleeding for 3 years - any changes like bleeding, itching, crustiness usually don't resolve themselves so hopefully you had caught it & caused it to bleed as the first GP suggested. 

Please be reassured that, should they think the mole needs removing for biopsy, you are being dealt with quickly and that's good. Good luck next week & please let us know how you get on,

Angie

• Thank you Angie for your kind reply. Sorry for not relying sooner but I could not log on as my user name had been changed.

i have the hospital tomorrow. More than a little scared. I want whatever it maybe to be caught early but terrified of a diagnosis . I already have a life limiting disease that I fight , I don’t know how I would tell my family if I had another.

i should think more positive and think it’s nowt and all will be fine but then I think I should prepare myself.

i wish my bloke was home then he could come with me - he works away from home so it’s just me on my puff tomorrow. 

Whatever happens I won’t be telling anyone until after Christmas. We love Christmas and it will be a bloody good one this year.

thank you again

Lesley 

•  

Hi Fayw,

I just want to wish you all the best for tomorrow. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer already, but my lymphoedema nurse noticed a mole on my back this year and advised me to get it investigated.

Fortunately mine was good news and, I sincerely hope that your will be too. One good thing is that you have got an appointment so quickly, as it can take a long time to get seen by a dermatologist, when their clinics are so busy.

Thinking of you and praying for a favourable result.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow. We are always here for you.
    Kind regards,

Jolamine xx