Glioblastoma and 32 yo sister

Just needed a place to turn to today as struggling lots.  My wonderful loving and clever sister was diagnosed with a GBM4 in July following a collapse. At the time of her debulking, the overnight swelling was so bad they needed to remove part of her skull to prevent further damage to her brain. When she woke up, shed lost left side mobility and was having severe memory and confusion problems and was unable to speak or eat. Because of the size and complexity of the tumor and the additional damage from swelling we agreed not to have further treatment  (chemo/radio etc) and potentially prolong what we see as her suffering. The section of skull was never replaced. We were given wildly varying expectancies but we're told "not more than 2 to 3 months". Slowly she regained her speech ability and ability to eat and drink independently but no more physical movement and her memory is still awful.

For a short term she was moved into a hospice but as the months ticked on, we decided to take her home. Caring for her is the hardest thing I've had to do in my life as she needs to have everything done for her. We do have lots of support from a local hospice charity and carers 4 times a day but its still just constant stress, sadness and worry. She is 32 years old and bed ridden and shes a different person now. Some days she forgets her own name and doesn't have a clue who I am. It's been 5 months since diagnosis and she is still going. She would hate the condition shes in now as was so independent before and she is suffering. We've had so many difficult conversations as a family (her asking us whats wrong with her, then forgetting, then asking again the next day. Her asking us to put her out of her misery etc) My sister is gone and we are caring for this other person in her body. She is often childlike and also often says malicious things.

People say to enjoy the extra time we've been given but i dont feel we know who this person is. I haven't been able to grieve for my sister as her body is still here. The cancer has reached its fingers into every corner of our lives affecting all of our relationships, taking its toll on my performance at my work, my relationship with my husband and even the way my parents and I look after ourselves. I just dont want her to suffer anymore and I feel so selfish for saying it, but i want to be able to grieve properly for the sister that is gone. I just feel like its bracing yourself and constantly waiting for punch that never quite comes.

Forums all seem a little sparse about Glioblastoma, are there any carers with similar experiences? Has anybody felt the same watching thier loved ones suffering? Thanks and sorry for being on such a downer, just having a low day  

• Im sorry to hear about your sister and how stressful it is for your  family x

Tomor im sure you will find new strenght to get through another day.

In our family we are just at the beginning of this path for cancer which is a scary thought! Reality is sisterinlaw getting kidney removed on 9/1/19 and we know she also has breast canxer in borh breasts and lymp glads

She a widow and only has her husband and myself doe support

• Thanks for the reply Lena

Today is a new day and tomorrow is a new day too.

All the best to your sister in law, her husband and yourself along this path. It's a horrible stomach lurching rollercoaster but as you say somehow you find strength each day xx

• Hi, I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. My husband has glioblastoma stage 4 too he too collapsed one day to find out he had it. then had surgery to remove some but they couldn’t remove a lot as it would damage the brain. This was back in may he since has had chemo-radiotherapy for 6 weeks and chemotherapy now. He is 37 and we have 2 kids and I’m petrified I just want the old him back.

I wish you and your family all the strength.

• Hi Honey-Lily

So sorry to hear about your husband and your family. This thing is awful and so devastating, especially in people so young! 

Has your husband experienced any side effects/personality changes from the surgery? Seems like its a total roulette who you get back after the debulking surgery! Glad he was strong enough for Chemo and hope its not been too rough for him and is holding this thing back.

Sending you best wishes and light x

• Hi lionheart30,

Thank you for your reply. The only things since surgery has been short temper, weakness on left side, unstable on feet and some memory loss.

He is like a whole different person doesn’t help that he gone from working full time and being very active to not working and being home most the time.

Best wishes x

• Hi I am in exactly the same situation  as you  my sister has gioblastomer  since June she  is suffering I know I see her nearly every day but I can't n tseem to think of anything to say  she has verbal memory loss so can't say anything  much  I feel as tho she doesn't want me there  don't know what to do to help  her or me