glioblastoma

Hi my mother has been diagnosed with glioblastoma and is in hospital at the moment. She is 85 and is at grade 4. The doctors have said there is no treatment available. They are giving her steroids but are tapering her off these. Two things I would like to know is how long she has left and secondly what happens when the steroids are stopped.

I have asked the doctor these questions but I cannot get a straight answer. When I asked if she would still be here at Christmas he wouldn’t answer. He also wouldn’t tell me about the steroids either.

any information would be helpful 

• Hi there ..

So so sorry your going through this heartbraking time at the moment...

It's probly because no one knows for sure ... they can give an average ... but it doesn't help much as some go quicker and some can hold on a lot longer ..

A lot depends on if it's a fast growing tumour ... there are so many factors ... as hard as it seems , sometimes we just have to live in the day .. make as many memories as possible... hold her hand and walk along side her ... if you want more info .. you can ring our nurses or McMillan... their phone number is on the home page ... as they can help by listening to your worries .. we're as wer just cancer patients or someone looking after someone with cancer ... wer not qualified ...

Chrissie x

• Hi Bronnie so sorry to hear of your mums diagnosis. I lost my dad to a gbm4 in sept 2016 and found the brain tumour charity a really good support and also helpful for information. They have support groups via facebook including a carers one. From personal experience with dad they do adjust the steroids due to the side affects they can cause so if they can reduce them they do but they did also increase them again depending on the sympoms dad was getting. Its quite a fine balance. How long your mum has left is very hard to say each person is different. The drs looking after your mum should have some idea. My dads consultant oncologist gave us a rough idea going on how dad was. I hope this helps. Ali xx

• I really feel for you. I am dealing with the loss of my dad. I have just posted on here.