Frightened of dying of cancer at 54

I have been diagnosed with terminal cancer after a 5 year long battle. I feel quite frightened about dying but have accepted it's an outcome I probably cannot beat. There are so many things I would like to do and see and feel cheated that I won't see many, I. Struggle with coping methods as everything seems futile. I would like to hear and talk to others like me in the hope it would make me feel stronger and less alone in this battle

• Hi there Carl, so sorry you find yourself on this journey ... and l know, like many of us, the thought of how long we may have ... I had a grade 3 breast cancer, and right side mastectomy last July ... so those feelings are there with me always ... 

The way I cope is making the most of every day, even on my P.J rest days ... and no matter how small , I try to find something that makes me smile ... I wake up every day and say to my self, hay I'm still here" and I try and make every day a memory day with those l love ... doing what l can, when I can ... that way I'm not letting cancer take one more day then it has too .. and my last breath will be sticking two fingers up to cancer ... coz it wants us to lay down and give up ... well I think we can bend but we will not brake .. it won't change who l am .. and I look at every day with new eyes .. there are amazing things around us every day, if only we look ..

There's a couple of lads on here, that have had a bad diagnosis .. Dave / telemando/ and taff ... they are all pushing those limits every day .. and an inspiration to us all .. on taking this cancer on ... and yet helping others every day on here ... it's like looking at a coin ... it's only one coin but has two sides .. it's up to all of us to choose which side we look at .. there's a lot of threads on here, you could help.. who like you feel lonely while coping with this cancer ... it's not about winning this cancer journey rollercoaster we find our selfs on .. it's about doing the best we can ... reach out on here and you'll never be alone ..

Sending a big vertual hug ... chrissie x

• Hi Chrissie, thanks for the reply, I think like you, that I have to make every count and I will definitely fight to the bitter end. It's good to talk to people going through the same type of illness, I definitely wish so many people weren't suffering as they are.

I will continue to make each day count. Kind regards to, carl

• Hi there ... 

Any time you feel low or just want to chat ... you'll see so many that need someone to talk too .. l think this is my safe haven, where we all understand all those feelings ... l think once we have cancer it never truly leaves ... it's always in the back of our minds ... so your not alone ... chrissie   ; ))  

• Hi Carl,

Sorry to read about your situation - like you I have an incurable cancer. I've been living with the knowledge that it will eventually kill me for almost 5 years now, after being first diagnosed at age 55.

I wish I could advise you what to do, but I just seem to muddle my way through life. Keeping busy helps keep my mind off morbid thoughts but that must be difficult to do if you have chronic pain as a constant reminder. It might be worth talking to your GP and getting some stronger pain relief to take the edge off it. I also read a lot which is an escapist thing and binge-watch DVD box sets of Game of Thrones etc. 

After a gruelling chemo regime I ran away to Goa in India for a couple of weeks on my own living in a beach hut and chilling out. It felt a bit selfish at the time but I needed the time on my own to get my head around what was happening to me. It was also mid-winter at home and the chemo left me with neuropathy which meant being cold was physically painful, which was doing my head in.

I never really had a bucket list, but I have tried to do as many of the things I have always wanted to do but never had the time. Scuba diving was one of them - getting qualified as a diver gave me something to aim for other than just keeping alive. Once I was qualified I had a few scuba-related challenges that I set myself. 

Anything that helps fight off boredom and brooding on death is always useful. You are definitely not alone in facing this challenge.

Best wishes

Dave

• I'm so sorry for your devastating news I feel so sad that this can happen you are so brave to go through this do you have family at all, this is a cruel world I'm so sorry if you Need a chat at All bless you stay strong