First chemo

I start chemo on Tuesday to say am scared is so true. I have stage 4 ovarian cancer and having 6 cycles . What actually happens

• Hi Angela, 

Waiting to start treatment can be very scary, but I hope it helps to know you are not alone as our community will completely understand how you are feeling right now and hopefully some of our members will be along soon to offer their support and share their experiences and advice.

I noticed you mentioned in a previous post that you have primary peritoneal cancer so I'm going to include some information about your diagnosis in case you would to find out more, but if you would prefer to talk things through with one of our cancer nurses, including what will happen when you have your chemo, do give them a call. They're available on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m and they'll do all they can to answer your questions and put your mind at ease about what's to come.

We're all thinking of you Angela and wishing you all the best for next week.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, I hope someone with the same cancer as you will come along and give you the benefit of their experience. I've just finished chemo for my breast cancer, so for what it's worth, this is what happened in my case. 

I had a PICC line inserted under local anaesthetic a few days before, but not everyone is offered this. The day before chemo, I went to the cancer unit to have the PICC line flushed and dressed, and to have bloods taken to make sure everything was ok to have the chemo next day, and to have a Covid test. On the day of my first chemo, I had my obs taken (height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, etc), had an MRSA swab test, then I was given anti-sickness drugs (tablets and IV through the PICC line). Then I had the chemo injected by hand through the PICC line (or you may have it on a drip), then I was able to go home. If you don't have a port or PICC line, you will probably have a cannula each time. Having a PICC line was great for me as my veins are very tiny and very shy - I hate having to have bloods taken from my arm or back of my hand. If you have a number for your breast care nurse, it may be worth asking if you can have a port or PICC. I hope it all goes well for you. Do let us know how you get on. xx

• Hi yes am getting a picc line put in on Monday as my veins are very thin .