Feeling helpless

Hi All.

My Dad has recently had his prostate removed due to cancer. It was stage 3, so quite aggressive. This was missed three years ago when he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. They beleived he had had it for around 8-10 years once removed? The operation was a success and he hoped that some follow on treatment would cure any further cancer.

He had a PSA test done after his prostate was removed and the results still showed a 7.1, so he had a CT and MRI scan done to see if there was underlying issues. The CT scan showed a lump on his lung.

He has now been diagnosed with Lung cancer. My dad never asks questions, so he does not know what type of lung cancer he has. (Small cell or Non small cell etc)

He is on Hormone replacement to slow down the process and goes back for another CT and PSA in 3 months time.

Hopefully he can find out a bit more information on types of treatments and what happens next? His GP didnt really give too much info either. I guess until we can find out a bit more, its no use predicting the future.

Ive looked at the outcomes for lung cancer and did not realise how bad it is. Even the survival rate past 5 years is long odds. I now feel helpless and concerned for my Dad, as im not sure he realises himself yet?

Thanks

Dave

• I think very many people dont ask or forget to.

It was one of my jobs with my wife at consultations to prod her to ask things she'd thought of in the week.

Its a good idea to make a list and ask the questions that you've written on it - see if you can get him to let you go in with him to see the consultant next time - just to help and provide support

• Hi Dave, I'm really sorry to see your dad has cancer. Is the cancer that is in his lungs primary or secondary to the prostate? This will make a difference to the survival rates. Maybe your dad hasn't asked too many questions around survival rates and doesn't want to know how long. Will they do a biopsy to see what type it is? Is that the only way they can tell? Maybe your dad would let you go to his next consultation with him? Good luck

• Hi Graham. Ill write a list for my Dad next time he goes  . I'd like to attend with him, but don't feel it my place, as my Step mum has been going with him  I'm seeing him this weekend, so I'll talk more to him about it then He only phoned me today to tell me about the lung cancer, so not had a good chat as yet . Thanks for the reply  

• Hi Michelle. I think its secondary, as it's only a small lump currently? He may have been told what type? He's not had a biopsy as yet on his lung. Hopefully he gets some answers at his next consultancy with the surgeon? Thanks for the reply. 

• Well the important thing is that he has someone going with him.

Work on the list with them.

As an aside there's a funny relationship between diabetes and cancer you know. My wife found that her blood sugars were really good when her cancer was most active and vice versa

Some people on line will tell you that cutting out all sugar fights cancer because of this and that sugar "feeds the cancer". I don't think it's quite clear what the relationship is and its just as likely that when the cancer is active it draws the sugars out more rather than the sugars stimulating the cancer.

I do know though that there is some research interest in the link because when we went to the Royal Marsden Melanie wasn't eligable for a number of the trials because of her diabetes and the drugs they were trialing were investigating this relationship.

He may see similar effects