Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Fast track colonoscopy

12 Feb 2018 19:20

I hope it's okay to post this  I'm 60 I went to Drs about cough had a chest X-ray and blood tests X-ray not back yet but blood test showed I was anaemic was called in to see dr  a week ago  had phone call today to say colonoscopy next Monday 

and a letter has been sent out I thought you had to take laxatives before just wondered do you think this will arrive in post ? 

Once again I hope it was alright to post here  

i don't know if this is relevant my dad had pancreatic cancer   Grandfather stomach cancer and brother who got called in for   a colonoscopy and removed polyps.thankyou bessie

Re: Fast track colonoscopy

13 Feb 2018 01:21 in response to Bessieboo

Hi Bessie,

A very warm welcome to Cancer Chat. Of course it is fine for you to post here. This is exactly the sort of thing that the site is here for.

Following my routine bowel screening last year, I was informed that I needed a colonoscopy as they had found blood in my stools. The powder arrives in the post with instructions on how to mix it and when to drink it. I think that it arrived about a week before I went for the procedure.

Don’t worry about the procedure. It is a little degrading, by virtue of the area that they’re working in, but the staff at the hospital are well used to doing it and, they were all very pleasant.

You are bound to be worried given the family history. Polyps are fairly common in that area and are easily dealt with, so here’s hoping that you are as lucky as your brother.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you whenever you want to talk.

I shall be thinking of you on Monday and hope that all goes well.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

13 Feb 2018 13:36 in response to Jolamine

Thank you , feel so stupid just had a message via mobile reminding me Monday 19 th I have a colorectal surgery appointment so I is not even the colonoscopy I must say feeling a bit sorry for myself I thought this will be over by Monday afternoon 

13 Feb 2018 15:13 in response to Bessieboo

Hi Bessie,

Although it may not seem so at the moment, it is good news that you have had the appointment through for surgery already, as this means that you don’t have long to wait and worry after you have had your colonoscopy.

Unfortunately, we all need tests before we have surgery. This lets the surgeon know if there is something untoward, where it is and what size it is. The cancer journey is a slow one and it involves loads of tests, surgery and then treatment. If you just have polyps they usually band them at the time of the colonoscopy.

Here’s hoping that this is all that you have and it might be over by 18th .

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

13 Feb 2018 15:18 in response to Jolamine

Hello jolamine  I'm. Sorry if I seem a bit dense. But I thought. When they said colorectal surgery that was the department I had to go to , this is all so confusing as I only went with a cough nothing to do with bowels , I had X-ray and blood test and still waiting for results of X-ray  but blood test showed anaemia 

still coughing that's another thing I'm worried about when I lay down I cough so much will that effect colonoscopy I do hope you don't mind me asking all these questions . Bessie 

13 Feb 2018 15:40 in response to Bessieboo

Hi Bessie,

Don’t worry about asking questions. That is why this forum is here. WE all fear the unknown, so it is much easier once we know what to expect. Waiting for tests and results is always a worrying time. It is normal for us to expect the worst until we are told otherwise.

I can appreciate why you are so confused when you went to the doctor with a cough. Why don’t you phone the colorectal surgery department (the number should be on your letter)and ask for clarification? Sometimes the staff working in these departments are so used to the process that they forget to explain it adequately to the patient.

If ever you don’t understand anything, don’t be afraid to ask.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

13 Feb 2018 19:03 in response to Jolamine

Hi jolamine, thanks for replying I haven't recieved a letter yet it's all been by phone mail then phone call and today I've had to reminders on my mobile about appointment 

so im sure I will get a letter telling me where to go and anything else I need to know 

Thanks again for help Bessie