Esophageal cancer

Hi,

im hoping someone can help me understand what is going on. My dad was diagnosed with stage 3B oesophageal cancer in September last year. He has had 1 round of chemo and 1 round of radiotherapy. Since visiting his consultant after Christmas he was told they cannot cure him as it has spread to 3/6 lymph nodes. They can however get him to a better level of health. Since the beginning of January he has not eaten, (even though he has a stent fitted) he is currently bed bound, weighs less than 9 stone and is beginning to hallucinate and become very confused. He is coughing a lot and sleeps most of the day. My confusion is the consultant told us it was a very slow growing cancer and has not metastasised anywhere else, why is he so poorly? They cannot treat him how he is, he physically cannot stand the sight of food, he looks like he won't last another few weeks. I just need to understand whether this is end of life, we wabt to admit him to hospital but he does not want to go as he thinks he won't come out. We just want to know what is going on and what to do for the best. 

Thank you 

• Hi Hayley,

So sorry to read about your Dad.

I'm not a doctor or anything, just a cancer patient, but the fact that he hasn't eaten for so long is worrying and might explain why he is still so unwell. 

Has his care team suggested how you might improve his food intake?

Best wishes

Dave 

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. I'm so sorry to learn you are facing cancer aswel. He has been prescribed steroids to help him eat and build his strength. All anyone keeps saying is "you need to eat" but he has managed one mouthful of toast in around 14 days. The steroids don't seem to be having much impact and the consultant says it's all on him to find the will to force himself to take food. Nurses have been out to support and talk with him but it feels like he's given up. He has no fight in him to try, and now he is emaciated and confused. All we get is he dosent feel like eating, hes got so used to life without food before the stent that now he dosent see the need for it. It's just very hard to process knowing that his cancer is slow growing, yet he is deteriorating so quickly. He is only 58 years old. 

Thank you xx

• Hayley,

That's awful. Has anyone considered that his cancer and treatment may have triggered an eating disorder? I wish I could offer some useful advice but, short of an emergency hospital admission, blood transfusions and drip-feeding, I can't think what to suggest. I'm guessing you've spoken to his GP and his care team? 

This article from sueryder.org offers some good advice, but it may not help in such extreme circumstances. support.sueryder.org/.../losing-your-appetite-and-losing-weight

I'd normally suggest homemade power shakes with full fat milk, bananas, peanut butter or soup or anything he can keep down, little and often. Chocolate even. 

I hope you and your Dad find a way through this.

Best wishes

Dave

• Hello Hayley,

I just wanted to welcome you to Cancer Chat and say I'm sorry to hear about your dad. What an incredibly difficult situation this must be.

It is perfectly normal for you to feel confused and scared but please remember you don't have to face this alone. 

There are a few pages from our website that deals with coping with cancer, both physically and emotionally which you might want to have a look as for tips on how to best support your dad.

Then, if you feel like speaking to someone medically trained might help, our cancer nurses available to take your call on this number 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday, between 9 a.m - 5 p.m.

And as always, feel free to stop by and chat whenever you need, we are here to listen.

Best wishes to you and your dad,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator