Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Do I have ovarian cancer

11 Oct 2017 14:17

Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum to read up on ovarian cancer as I am terrified I have it. Back in July I went to the doctor as I had had unexplained weight loss. My weight has dropped from 59 to 52 kilos since the start of the year without any obvious changes in lifestyle. I also developed a bout of chronic fatigue and my legs were like lead. From being very active, I suddenly couldn't even walk upstairs. My GP did a full blood test, all the parts of which came back normal, though I don't know whether she did a specific test for ovarian cancer. After a couple of weeks, the tiredness became less and I was able to get on with my life.

Then a couple of weeks ago I found a lump in my pelvis. At the time there were no more symptoms, but the doctor has referred me for an urgent scan. Since my doctors visit I have again developed chronic fatigue, I have no appetite and my back is killing me, though I have very little pain in my abdomen. Also my bowel movements move from normal (for me) to constipated. I have no diarrhea and no blood in my poo. I am 58 years old 

I am worrying myself sick as all the signs point to cancer and there doesn't seem to be another logical explanation for my symptoms. I have cried buckets and my family are also very upset. 

I know it's sensible to wait for the scan, but I just need more information. Does it sound like ovarian cancer and if so, how far advanced does it sound?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you and bless you all  xx

Re: Do I have ovarian cancer

11 Oct 2017 14:52 in response to carriejj

I'm no medical expert but I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you as I can imagine how scared you must be feeling right now.

In February of this year I went to the doctors with several symptoms and they did blood tests, one of them was a CSA125 (this is an extract from the NHS page about the test:  If your GP thinks your symptoms could be due to ovarian cancer, they'll recommend having a blood test to check for a substance called CA125.CA125 is produced by some ovarian cancer cells. A high level of CA125 in your blood could be a sign of ovarian cancer.But a raised CA125 level doesn't mean you definitely have cancer, as it can also be caused by less serious things such as endometriosis, fibroids and even pregnancy.If the test finds a high level of CA125, you'll be referred for a scan to check for possible causes)

My CSA level was raised and I had a MRI and then a CT scan - I was lucky because my level was raised due to Fibroids and not cancer.

Have you got a date for the scan yet? Do you know what type of scan? What did the doctor say?

11 Oct 2017 15:04 in response to samsunguk

Hi samsungUK thank you for getting back to me and for your kind words. Well I'm certainly not pregnant (too old for that!!) and I'm not sure that the other possibilities you mention would cause the unexplained weight loss or the chronic fatigue I mentioned, but maybe one of the nurses on here might be able to answer that. Yes I knew about CA125 but I don't know whether my GP did that test. I should have asked. My ultrasound scan is tomorrow. I went to my GP last Thursday. It has been the longest few days of my life.

12 Oct 2017 11:16 in response to carriejj

Dear Carrieij,

Thank you for posting a question. I am sorry to learn about your situation.

Waiting for tests investigations and the results can be very stressful and so I can understand that this must be a difficult time. I would like to be able to help you with further information, but there is not much that I can add at this stage. As you know without more information from the scan, it is impossible to say for sure what might be the matter. I don’t think that it is correct to say that all your symptoms point to cancer. This is not necessarily the case. There are very few symptoms that are only specific to cancer.

Benign (non-cancerous) ovarian cysts can sometimes be quite large and they can cause very similar symptoms to ovarian cancer. Also non- cancerous womb fibroids can sometimes be felt as a lump and if they grow large they can cause a lot of symptoms. So although it is difficult there really is nothing for it but to wait and see what the ultrasound reveals

In another post you said that you  are particularly worried about the weightloss and fatique. Once again these symptoms have many different causes. It might be that not all of the symptoms are related to each other.

There is no easy way of getting through this time, but keeping busy and having the support of family and friends can help a little.

I do hope that you get some answers soon.  Do get back to us if you think that we can help with anything else. If you would like to telephone our freephone number is 0808 804040.  We are here from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am to  5pm.

All the best,

Jean