Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Discharge and right hip pains after 4 months post treatment

13 Apr 2019 06:28

My mother was diagnosed with Cervical Stage 2A on 26.08.2018.

Gone through 25 radiations, 5 chemo and 2 brachy. NED on 31.12.2018 (Based on physical examination only)

She has a 3 month checkup scheduled this Monday. Worried a little as she is having some discharge (Colorless or so) suddenly since 2 days. The back and lower right leg pain started 10 days ago, She has other pelvic pains etc., like sudden pains in back and right lower hip below buttocks. She already has Sciatica in left leg.

Also already having Ileum narrowing which is causing severe stomach ache.

This discharge could be a recurrence? Am scared to death. She is having right leg, hip pains and severe fatigue. Going for a checkup with the radiation oncologist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cervical Stage 2A ( No pet scan) 26.08.2018

25 radiations, 5 Chemo 29.10.2018

Ileum Narrowing. NED on 31.12.2018

April 2019, fatigue & pains. Discharge on 10.04.2018

13 Apr 2019 18:52 in response to warrior047

Hi there ...

Sorry can't answer your question ... but I see you've posted under "ask the nurses" and it is something they will know far more then us .. 

But just wanted to say, they are on here Monday to Friday ... so don't worry if you don't get an answer till then ... they will get back to you ...  Chrissie x

14 Apr 2019 06:09 in response to Chriss

Thank you. Should i post it on other sub forums for quicker thoughts

14 Apr 2019 10:47 in response to warrior047

Hi,

I was going to say to try to get an appointment but you already have one for Monday.
The only advice I can give is to try to go with your Mum and make sure everything you've written here is written down and passed on to the consultant on Monday.

Sometimes in the stress of an appointment we forget to say things so writing it down and having someone to check we don't miss anything is helpful. Sometimes patients are also embarrassed to mention things to a clinician that they will happily discuss with their family so having someone to prompt them can help too.

Good luck for Monday
Dave

14 Apr 2019 14:29 in response to davek

Read your story, incredible and blessed are you. So glad you are in 2.8%.

Need your guidance sir.  Yes will pass on all the symptoms to the Radiation oncologist.

Just waiting for some positive alarm from god, as the symptoms in google and other doctor say something else. Am just afraid that how could this come within 3 months if so...all negative is what am feeling. Only hope.

14 Apr 2019 22:22 in response to warrior047

Sadly Dr Google never completed the 5 year basic medical course, nor the 5 year to 15 years as a junior doctor to become a consultant. He or she almost always seems to jump to the worst conclusion and cause unnecessary worry.

Good luck for tomorrow

Dave

15 Apr 2019 00:17 in response to warrior047

Hi,

I also had stage 2A cervical cancer and basically the same treatments your mom did. I am not medically trained but wanted to say that I had some pains and twinges for at least 6 months post treatment. My doctor told me it was my body recovering from the radiation. I also had some light discharge that eventually cleared up. 

I hope this eases your mind somewhat and good luck tomorrow.

Laura xx

15 Apr 2019 11:56 in response to warrior047

Hello

As the others have said, we can't tell you whether or not it is likely to be the cancer, but given all the treatment she has had it is perfectly possible that it might be related to side effects of the radiotherapy she had.  The best thing for her to do is to get it checked out as soon as she can.  It is good to read she is booked to see the oncologist.

Take care

Martin

18 Apr 2019 18:30 in response to LauraP

Thanks for the info..

All, got the checkup done. Based on symptoms, Radiation Oncologist advised for an MRI with contrast for abdomen and pelvis.

Did that. Another tension of a query now! Seems like the cancer is gone locally as of now, but there is a small enhancing growth in the subarticular right sacral ala. Its got no mass per them and is very small and cannot be biopsable. This was hypertense on STIR and they suspect either inflammation or infective lesion of bone.

Checked with other doctors outside, each one has a different opinion. One said, infection is not possible there, and could be metastases.

My other doctor said, metastases wont come there and hence could be inflammation. He is the one who treated my mother. Butb he is also not sure and wants to wait till it grows!

My query is, is this possible? Am scared again

19 Apr 2019 03:46 in response to warrior047

Hello,

i am sorry your mom is having to go through  additional concerns and I understand you are fearful. But, think of it this way, she is being followed up on and monitored by her doctors. That is the right thing to do! Yes, there maybe setbacks so try to take it one day, one appointment at a time; put it behind you and move on.  It may also be helpful for you both to see a therapist or find a support group you can attend. I hope you find some comfort in my words and please let us know how things progress. 

Laura xx

23 Apr 2019 10:30 in response to warrior047

Hello and thank you for getting back to us.

I would like to be able to help, as I am sure that this must be a worrying situation for you and your mother. But I am not sure that I can add much to what has already been said  This is because I am a nurse and not a doctor and also I think that this is an unusual situation which I have not really seen before. Sometimes in situations where there is some doubt about what an abnormality might be, there is nothing for it but to wait and perhaps do another scan at a later date to look for changes. Ideally a biopsy would be taken but as you know this is not always possible. The lesion might be in a place that is difficult to get at or too small.  I can appreciate that this waiting must be hard. and as Laura kindly suggested it might be helpful if you had some support at this time.

When someone is first diagnosed with cancer their case is discussed by a multidisciplinary team of experts (the MDT). If there is uncertainty about the best way forward  later on, sometimes a case will be discussed again by an MDT.  A team of experts then decides how some one should be managed. 

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful and I do hope that you get some answers soon.

All the best,

Jean