Diagnosed at 25

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in march, aged 25. I had surgery to remove cancer at the start of April and today I have had my second round of chemotherapy (2/6) and will then move on to radiotherapy. I'm not sure what people usually write in these posts.. I am feeling lost at the moment, maybe it is just a 'down day' as I like to call them. 

I feel like I have had so many decisions to make in the past 2 months, that I feel I shouldn't have to make at my age and it makes me upset which I don't tell anyone about, I feel like I need to be strong for my parents and other family members and I am always putting on a brave face. I was referred for fertility treatment (I have a boyfriend and we have been together 3 years) but was advised against it by oncologist as the cancer is ER positive and fertility drugs would feed cancer and chemo would have to be postponed.

I decided to not opt for fertility treatment and go ahead with chemo, but I feel grief that I may not be able to get pregnant in the future (I know there are numerous other ways of having a family) but everyone else my age seems to be starting families etc.. and I will be on tamoxifen for 10 years which will bring me to 35 years of age and even then I possibly will not be fertile anymore.

• Hi Eva hopefully [@Marlyn]‍ will get in touch with you she's just finished kemo.

Billy 

• Oh I am so sorry to read your post....a lass on here was coming to the end of her chemo when she found out she was pregnant! It was a total shock....and it's all going well for her now....I'll try and remember who it was and tag her....

are you on fec fec the whole time? Or moving to T? I was on fec.....it was brutal....what helped me is I kept a diary, its interesting to read back and see all the side effects popping up and how each cycle seemed to differ in some way...

im a complete control freak and felt helpless handing myself over, it was out of my hands, I had to trust the experts...

im always popping on here, and will be here for you if you need a moan....I'm starting radiotherapy Monday ( failed attempt today....long story) and began herceptin, so still along way to go.....we can do this Hun....xxx

• Hey billygoat....hope your ok? Xxx

• Hi @Marlyn,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. That is amazing about the other girl finding out she was pregnant and doing so well!!

Forgive me as I feel I know none of the lingo that comes along with this awful diagnosis, all I know is that I am on EDC chemo treatment, for the first three rounds of my chemo I recieve 2 drugs which cause sickness then I will be given docetaxel for my last 3 rounds which oncologist advised will make me feel like I have been 'hit by a bus' her words not mine. Then it will be tamoxifen for 10 years straight. I have a diary here, but find it hard to write in, my mum seems to be keeping her own diary since the diagnosis, she has taken it very badly as she lost a sister to cancer 2 years ago which is understandable.

I am also a control freak, probably why I am trying not to burden anyone with how i'm feeling at the moment, I want to stay in control as long as possible, but need to let experts do what they do. 

Sorry to hear your radiotherapy did not go ahead today, fingers crossed for Monday then! And again thank you for replying, i feel better for venting (maybe diary will be used tonight) xx

• Thanks for replying @Billygoat, got in touch!! 

• Hi Eva glad to help I was on docetaxel as well and it does feel like a bus sometimes, hope yours goes better than mine did, hopefully others will join you to talk. Best wishes.

Billy 

P.s don't bother with,, @,, unless you want someone to reply you as it highlights and and sends an email notification to named person, 

• Morning love, I've asked on the "good and bad" thread who the lass is that is expecting.....you should look the thread up, it's full of the loveliest ladies.....I know they can all offer words of comfort....how you doing today? Xxxx

• Iv tagged the lady! Dizzle82......she found she was pregnant after chemo and towards the end of radiotherapy....baby is doing great and expected in August......xxxx

• Hi,

Marlyn tagged me in this post and I hope I can be of some help. 

Im 37 and had stage 3 breast invasive ductal cancer in my right breast. I had 6 rounds of chemo, a mastectomy and radiotherapy. I was told that because the chemo they gave me was so aggressive it was likely to make me infertile. I suffered a lot of hot flushes and was told id gone through early menopause, so was shocked but ecstatic to find out in february that i was over 3 months pregnant. I was in and out of hospital at the beginning of the year with infections in my reconstructed boob and on antibiotic drip so im amazed he survived it all but he did. I was due to have my last radiotherapy the day I found out and was also having my herceptin drip every 3 weeks. I would never give up hope as infertility isnt a given....im living proof of that. Ive had so many tests on him as noone was quite sure as to how all the drugs and treatment would have affected him but every scan ive had has been positive news. He is a true miracle. I hope this has helped you in some way.

Candice x