Together we will beat cancer

Donate

CRP is 27 - GP says too low for cancer but am still worried

18 Aug 2018 14:04

Hi - i’m gettting a bit scared anD I really hope you can help.

I’ve had persistently high CRP levels - 27 over 4 blood tests over last couple of months. 

Figured it would just be a virus but dr has done various additional bloods (inc FBC) and nothing has shown up- other than the high CRP.  Last set of bloods included electrophoresis and she said that everything was negative so I felt pretty relieved. Dr said bloods showed it wasn’t an infection or an auto immune issue (I’m not sure how you know this from bloods?) but we needed to get to the bottom of the CRP levels so she suggested a chest x-ray. 

I asked her specifically whether it could be cancer as my Dad was diagnosed with multiple myeloma via a random blood test for something else (he had no symptoms at all) so I was worried this would be similar. She said no as I’d be looking at CRP levels of 100+ if it was cancer. but am now beginning to doubt what I heard. 

So my questions are:

Is that right - does cancer show up at 100+ CRP or could a level on 27 be significant?

Is there anything else that could account for that level that’s not an infection/auto immune?

Surely the chest x-ray is to look for/rule out lung cancer? Or maybe lymphoma? Should I be worried?

I feel I’m getting slightly mixed messages and would really appreciate any advice/guidance.

I don’t really have any major symptoms other than feeling pretty tired (who doesn’t! I’m 43 single working mum) which is why I went to drs in the first place. No lumps or weight loss. I did have a problem with itching all over a few weeks back but this went away after a few weeks.. I do get very itchy armpits but I have done for years. I also get pretty drenching night sweats but again it’s been going on for a couple of years and seemed to be a side effect of the anti-depressant meds I’m on.

Any advice appreciated. I don’t want to be neurotic but due to how my Dad find out he had multiple myeloma (which sadly wasn’t responsive to treatment) I’m getting worried. 

Is this logical or am a victim of over-googling syndrome?

thank you for listening. 

21 Aug 2018 14:42 in response to Mousetrap

Thanks for your post.

I can imagine it's frustrating and worrying not knowing what's going on, especially as your dad's myloma was picked up by chance.

A raised CRP(c-reactive protein) blood level is usually associated with acute inflammation and can be linked to several inflammatory disorders and or the presence of an infection. You might want to look here https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests/c-reactive-protein at the Labtests online website for more information on CRP.

An electrophoresis blood test can be taken as a test for inflammatory conditions, auto immune disease and infection.So, it's possible that as this test came back negative, the GP felt she could tell you it wasn't infection or an autoimmune disease.

It's more likely that the GP requested a chest x-ray to exclude any unseen infection or any other lung condition, rather than just checking for signs of cancer.

CRP isn't a diagnostic test  by itself, so cancer can't be diagnosed by a raised crp level - regardless of whether it is over 100 or less.

It might be helpful to have a frank discussion with the GP outlining your ongoing concerns, especially regarding your worries over cancer. As she has your medical details, she would be the best person to answer your questions.

I know it's hard but it may be a good idea to stop googling things as the information online is general and not specific to you. It cannot replace the information that a doctor can give a person after a medical assessment. 

Please do give us a call if you would like to go over any of this.The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

I hope things settle down soon 

Wanda

16 Jul 2019 09:45 in response to Mousetrap

Hi what was the outcome please xxx

13 Aug 2019 12:37 in response to De.elizabeth1991

Hi - outcome is I’m still being investigated.

x-ray showed no problems with lung. I then had a body CT scan which also showed no problems. 

CRP remains above 20 and am having further investigations. 

Thanks