Continuous abnormal bleeding for 3 months, ovarian cyst

I am very worried about my continuous bleeding and pain. I posted on here a few months ago prior to a tranvaginal scan which found that I had a small ovarian cyst ( 3.5 cms simple cyst) and some thickening of the womb. I have had cysts before, one was 7.5cms and was twisted so they removed my left ovary and tube.

I started with a very heavy period, passing egg like clots in July and although the bleeding calms down and dissipates for almost a day at times, it never fully disappears and I have pink when I wipe and a watery discharge. I also have groin pain, sciatica and can feel something on my right side when I bend over. I have IBS anyway so it’s hard to tell if this is also a symptom. I haven’t had a CA 125 test this time and it hasn’t been mentioned to me. Is this something I should be pushing for? The pain keeps me awake at night and is getting progressively worse. I could not feel the cyst only 7 weeks ago but I can now feel it very clearly, this is not something I have experienced before with previous cysts. I also did not have irregular bleeding. The doctors keep telling me to have a Mirena in and all will be fine but I have been reluctant due to the pain, I am sorry to post on here but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Welcome back to Cancer Chat Anxiousmadonnagrey though I am sorry to hear about the reason that brings you back here. I think it might be worth giving a call to your doctor and mentioning your latest symptoms. If you feel you would like to have the CA125 test done, you could mention it to your doctor and say it would give you peace of mind to have this investigated.

As the pain is also keeping you awake at night and is getting worse and you are also experiencing this bleeding, it would definitely be a good idea to see your doctor and also mention that you can now feel the cyst very clearly. Perhaps you could ask to see a different doctor too just to get a different opinion?

Let us know how you get on if you get a chance.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you for responding Lucie. I have been back and the GP said I should have another scan as my symptoms have worsened. I have arranged for a private scan on Wednesday as I am meant to be starting a teaching contract in January and I have already pulled out of one due to the heavy bleeding. It seems every time I do even the slightest housework or anything I go from a light flow to flooding and clots. I am very tired now from all the bleeding and very worried about what it might be. This all continuous bleeding started in late July so it’s been a long time now.

• How are you now? And what did your scan show? Hope you're doing well.

• Just read your post and I too am worried sick with vaginal & rectal bleeding. Am exhausted and keen to know if you ever found the reason for your pain & bleeding because they are at a loss to find what is going on with my body. Also what is a CA 125?

Hanging onto hope! x

• Hi,

i am sorry to hear about your problems with bleeding.My bleeding went on for about six months. Following the results of my scan, which found a ovarian cyst and some thickness of the womb; I then went for an endoscopy re the rectal bleeding. They found nothing thank goodness.

i had a biopsy on the womb lining and fortunately the results were normal. A later scan showed the lining was improved after all the bleeding

When the heavy vaginal bleeding stopped, I didn’t have any more rectal bleeding. I am sure that the bleeding was rectal and had tested it with tampons to check where it was coming from. It is still a mystery but I was very anaemic and took the maximum dose of prescribed iron tablets for months after the bleeding stopped as my levels were so low.

I was told my cyst was something just to watch. The CA125 test is related to that, it is a blood test. 

I took hormones prescribed by my doctor for a few months, which helped stabilise the bleeding. I then had the Mirena Coil fitted. Since then my bleeding had been light but I still get long periods of bleeding of up to three weeks and only have about 18 days in between. I was discharged about six months ago when I thought the bleeding was better. I should say that I am 47 and hope that my issues although alarming at the time are probably age related or at least I hope so. I hope this helps.

• Hi there I was just wondering if you had anymore info

on you condition. I'm experiencing the same, I'm heavy bleeding now for 8 weeks. Few rectal bleeds which were dismissed by my doctor saying it was definitely my uterus bleeding, I'm down for routine gyne appointment with bloods repeated weekly, iron is constantly dropping but no sign of putting me on anything. I spoke to another doctor last week who has sent me for an urgent referral to gastroenterology (I think) that's what she said I'll agree to anything at this stage. But I really want to know what's going on with me, I've no energy no more, I'm struggling day to day no with tiredness, aches and pains. I know that could be to do with low iron also. I've have the copper coil in now for 4 and half years, period every 28 days. Before this heavy bleed I've had 8 week gaps between my periods then now a non stop bleed. Sorry for jumping on, I'm just at my wits end with no answers xx

• Hi, I have recently had major abdominal surgery due to an ovarian cyst, which grew from 0 to 30 cm within 8 weeks. It started with a 4 week heave menstrual bleed, and continued with very sharp abdominal pain. I thought it could be gallstones, then pancreatitis, then the pain moved to my bowels, so I thought it was Ibs. The cyst grew so fast that it actually got intertwined with my bowels. I ended up hospitalised for 3 weeks, as doctors were unsure what they were dealing with. In the meantime my cyst grew. I looked 11 months pregnant and could barely move.

they ended up doing an open surgery on me, removed a 30cm cyst, removed my left ovary and Fallopian tube, a large part of my small bowel and a significant part of my large bowel. This was due to the cyst pressing on my organs and sticking to them. I was constipated, bloated and had no space in my tummy for food before the surgery. Once the cyst became large, the sharp pain turned to a very dull pain and discomfort. I couldn't sleep because whichever way I lied down, I could feel my cyst (or demon as h would call it) pressing on my organs. I had very bad pack pain. I had a 9 day super heavy period in hospital too. 
    I begged and pleaded with the doctors to operate. 
    it ended up being a very long and complicated surgery, but 3 weeks later I feel like a new person. 
    if I were you, I'd plead with the doctors to get an ultrasound. I had an ultrasound referral as we thought it was gallstones. Once they saw what was happening in my tummy, they admitted me, and a month later I came out of hospital with half my organs gone. 
    do tor's can be reluctant to help, as they think it's something much simpler, but I would insist on a scan being done, because my cyst grew so quickly. Nobody knows what's going on inside until you get a scan.

good luck and I hope you get it sorted 

• Hello, I have similar symptoms now. They did a scan and found a "complex" 2.2cm cyst I have another scan on Sunday which is 6 weeks after the original scan. The world complex, my bowel movements and long heavy periods (sometimes 16 days of bleeding) I'm convinced I have cervical cancer. I am only 26 I am so worried - If anyone has been through anythinf similar let me know and the outcome in terms of fertility or diagnosis. 
    thank you!