Constipation

My dad was given 12 months to live last June. He has bladder cancer. He's been too poorly to have further scan but it appears to have spread the palliative nurses said. We've managed to keep him from being constipated with senna. 

However, for the last week, he's rarely eating and drinks about 200mls a day. The nurse said this is the natural process of dying. He hasn't had his bowels opened for 3 days now and he's fretting about it. He has no tummy pain. Does anyone know if this this is what happens? 

• Hello Kazd67,

I am so sorry to hear your dad's cancer has spread and that he is now eating and drinking very little. I hope you are being supported by your family and friends during this difficult time and that the palliative nurses are helping you understand and deal with what is happening. We have some information on our website on dying with cancer which may answer some of the questions you may have; however, as some of the information here can be upsetting and difficult to cope with, if you prefer to speak to someone, do give our cancer nurses a ring on this free number 0808 800 4040. I am sure they will be able to help you understand what is going on and they may have some insight into what might be causing the constipation.

I hope you will also hear from others here who have been in your place recently and that they will share their experience of caring for a loved one with terminal cancer with you.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator