Together we will beat cancer


Confused over ct scan

18 May 2019 08:07


Can anyone put my mind a ease I'm confused

So I went to the doctor cause I had a pains in kidney and pelvis area. He sent me to urologist, who in return sent me for ultrasound in which came back scarring on left kidney.

I saw the urologist who suggested a ct scan.

I waited 8 weeks for results went to see him and he had ct scan on screen but no report from radiologist but stated kidneys are fine must of been infection but he can see a bulky area in pelvis so would like me to see a gynaecologist. He stated he would call me end of that week to book appointment with himself after received a report.

2 weeks later I rang his secatary who said report still isnt done.

I rang the PALS team who spoke the secatary. She said report had been done today (friday) and is waiting for consultant to read it but he's in surgery all day and won't be available to look at it until Tuesday.

Well I'm worried something is wrong as I had a ultrasound about 8 months ago inwhich said my ovary is enlarged 15cm3 and right is 8cm3.

Is it the enlarged ovary they can see on ct scan or something else.

If something sinister is there who flags it up. Would the radiologist or consultant. I'm guessing the urologist would read it the send to gynaecologist  ? 

I hate waiting 

Thank you 

Confused over ct scan

18 May 2019 10:50 in response to Sammy114

Hi Sammy114. Welcome to the forum.

In many parts of the country, your GP's computer can access your hospital results and reports.  I had a CT scan on 16th April, and I've heard nothing about it from the hospital; however last week (May 14) I saw my GP and she was able access the written report and kindly printed out a copy for me.  This is not the first time she's done this for me; I had an MRI last year and she was able to provide me with a copy of that report, too. 

It might be worth checking to see if your GP can do the same.  However, be aware that these reports are full of jargon and long (and sometimes scary) words, but there is usually a summary at the end.  I suggest you skip to the summary first, then go back to the main body.  Of course, if your GP is present then you can go through it together.

Confused over ct scan

18 May 2019 11:08 in response to telemando

Thank you for your reply.

I will contact my gp next week and see if he had the report 



Confused over ct scan

20 May 2019 15:53 in response to Sammy114

Hello Sammy and thanks for posting, 

I'm afraid I don't know what this bulky area seen on the CT could be. It may be nothing to worry about, but I can appreciate that waiting to find out is stressful. 

I am not sure if anything ever came of the ultrasound. This is the type of scan they usually use to assess problems with the ovary so if nothing more was done it sounds reassuring, although I realise it was a few months ago now. 

Our understanding is that although consultant to consultant referral is possible,  it is more usual for a consultant to refer back to the GP and the GP makes the referral to another consultant.  So it would be a good idea to see your GP anyway and as telemando says, they might be able to access the scan results. 

The radiology consultant reports what they see and also gives an impression of what might be the matter, but it is usually the doctor who ordered the scan who would take any action needed. However that may just be asking the GP to make a referral. 

I hope you know more soon. Easier said than done I know, but try not to worry in the meantime.

Please give us a call if you want to talk anything over, the number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are around from Monday to Friday 9-5. 

All the best,