Confused

Hi I'm 38 and I recently started to have pains in my ribs and chest seemed to come on more when I had a period so I had a few checks and I have been diagnosed with breast cancer grade 2. The  lump was so small they advised they would take it out and be given hormone tablets however the scans showed lesions on my bones so I was advised it had spread and now have stage 4 breast cancer. Where it gets more confusing is now I am being told that the spread can't have come from my breast as a primary and they are doing more tests to see how this has occurred as there isn't another primary cancer in my body. I am so frustrated and confused. I have started hormone ttreatment but now been tested for other issues that may be related to blood rather than bone. Has anyone experienced a wrong disgnosis. I had the Astra Zeneca three weeks prior to all of this and never ever felt pain prior and always healthy and now im a mystery I just don't know what to think 

• Welcome to the forum Sadmotherof2 although I'm sorry about your diagnosis and the confusion surrounding it.

Sometimes people may be diagnosed with CUP. This stands for cancer of the unknown primary and it means that cancer spread has been found in your body (secondary cancer), but your doctors can't find where the cancer started (the primary cancer). This may be what you're contending with at the moment but hopefully the tests the doctors are carrying out can give you more information and clarification on your situation soon.

If you would like to talk things through with one of our cancer nurses you can give them a call on 0808 800 4040. Their phone lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m. and they will do their very best to work through this with you.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator