Colonoscopy Biopsy

Good morning everyone, first time posting but have been looking on the forum since I was referred for an urgent colonoscopy. I'm looking for anyone with similar experiences which my help with my anxiety.

I'm 34 and my symptoms are abdominal discomfort and discharge from back passage. Occasionally I have noticed blood when I wipe but not in my stool. If I have a large fatty meal my stool the next say tend to very loose, possibly diarrhea. I've suffered with the discharge and blood on and off for around 6 years. I stupidly always put it down to haemorriods. Over the last few months I've lost some weight (half a stone) and my wife encouraged me to see the doctor. After discussing everything they referred me for an urgent colonoscopy.

I had the colonscopy yesterday and was told by the Gastroenterologist that it appeared normal. However, he did say that he found an sessile inflammatory polyp (4mm) located 3cm from my anal verge and took 4 standard biopsies from my rectum but said it was nothing to worry about. 

I'm terrible for googling things but most things I read say polyps should be removed because they can be precancerous and inflammatory polyps occur in people with inflammatory diseases. Everything I've read says that if polyps are located then the colonscopy result should be abnormal. Surely if a inflammatory polyp was found something is clearly wrong?

I'm anxiously awaiting my results and was wondering if anyone on here can share their experiences or similar symptoms/diagnoses.

Thanks.

• Hi there - sorry you are anxious - I think most people would be. BUT having read what you said carefully it seems to me that the most important part of it was that the Consultant said it was nothing to worry about. Why would you want to question him/her? Googling is absolutely hopeless - I assume you are'nt a doctor? II don't mean to dismiss your anxieties I'm just trying to be objective.

I've recently had a bowel cancer 'scare' & was ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED I had it. I have to have a colonoscopy shortly (all other tests came back clear) & I can tell you that if my Consultant says I have nothing to worry about (even if there are polyps) I shall be whooping with joy.

It's possible one of the nurses on this site will give you some proper medical information which might well help to put your mind at rest - I hope so. In the meantime perhaps do a bit of whooping yourself ;);) ?

Very good luck with what comes next.

• Hi Purrfect, thank for taking the time to reply. Your feedback is appreciated.

I didn't mean to come across ungrateful, when the consulant told me it was normal there was a massive sense of relief. There are people not as fortunate as you and me to have such good news.

I'm just curious as to what the cause of the inflammed polyp was Crohns/Colitis and was wondering if anyone else had similar symptoms to mine who maybe able to help me.

I'm glad your test came back all clear and I'll try my best to do some Whooping until my biopsy result. :-)

Take care,

• Hi again you didn't at all come across as ungrateul. One of nurses here might be able to answer your question about the polyps or someone with similar symptoms - hope so. Let us know how you get on.

You're doing good!! ;););)

• Hello DJ, how did you get on... year later and I'm in similar situation to you were with bleeding, diarrhoea  and weight loss.... had colonoscopy with 3mm sessile polyp removed from sigmoid colon and awaiting biopsy results... bit anxious and would like to know how it turned out for you if you are happy to share? Mt