Colonoscopy

I have had a stool sample tested and my Dr rang and said there was blood found no,  visible to the naked eye and is sending me for a colonoscopy within the two week pathway referral.  Has anyone else had a cancer diagnosis after a colonoscopy?  I'm 61 live alone and feel a tad anxious.

Regards

K

• Hi there

I'm 29 and today went to the hospital for an initial assessment of what's going on with my bum and poo!! After this I was told to go make an appointment for a colonoscopy, I have this next Monday now. I had experienced visible blood in my stool so my story is a little different. However, I have read loads of different stories and outcomes of people's diagnosis after a colonoscopy. Like you i am scared and anxiou, however, and I know it's really hard to do it, try and take some comfort that they are getting you in for a colonoscopy.  Just because they want to check, rather than leaving it say 6 months in the hope it will get better. Try not to rely on Dr Google, everyone's story is different and unique and doesn't mean your story will be the same. 

Try to keep strong. I'll be here if you need a chat.

All the best

• Hi I have had that 8n the past with topic anaesthetic and felt no pain.  It always depends on the person that does it of course but I am sure and hope everything will go smoothly and have good results . 

Xx

• Hi Kimi,

I'm sorry to hear that your situation is making you feel anxious, understandably so.

I haven't had a colonoscopy my self but as an Endoscopy Nurse, I've looked after a great deal of people who have. The majority of people who have these symptoms aren't diagnosed with cancer as there are many things that can cause blood to be found in your stool. Try not to let the 2 week referral worry you too much, it's routine when people have certain symptoms. It just means that if a cancer is unfortunately found, treatment can be given as early as possible.

Best wishes 

• Hi sorry to bother you but I can't find the answer in looking for online, I had a colonoscopy last week and on the discharge sheet it says significant results and has a letter m wrote next to it?

What could this mean I'm bit confused, I have previously had breast cancer so I'm a little anxious. Thankyou in advance 

• Hi GK83,

Unfortunately, the format of the colonoscopy report you have doesn't sound familiar to me and I wouldn't like to speculate.

It is common practice for an endoscopist to tell people on the day of their procedure if anything serious, such as a suspected cancer is found. So I wouldn't have thought that this is the case. To get some specific information about your results, you could contact the endoscopy unit where your procedure was done. They may be able to access your report and tell you what it means over the phone. Alternatively, your GP should have received a copy of your results, you could contact them.

Best wishes.