Chemo brain!

Hi guys, I’m looking for some advise..Iv been finished all of my chemotherapy and radiotherapy for breast cancer for two years now but my chemo brain is worse than ever! Has anyone experienced problems with this? I left it a while but have recently taking tamoxifen aswel which doesn’t help the situation. Work is a rely task sometimes, I feel like I can’t cope with the simlest of task, my brain just doesn’t work properly! Has a single mother Iv just got to push on with work and life and just get on with it, but sometimes it’s just too hard! Any advice would be greatly received, thank you 

• Hello Rymi1,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I can imagine that being a single mother and juggling work and life is already extremely difficult so it isn't surprising that you are still feeling the after effects of the 'chemo brain'.

We actually have detailed information on our website on chemo brain which you can read here. It does mention on this page that "for some people the symptoms can be long term and may continue for years after treatment has finished" so it looks like you are part of the unlucky few.

You are doing amazingly well though juggling work, children and life. I don't know how old your children are, but one thing is sure chemo brain and baby/kiddies brain can't be a good combination! I imagine it isn't easy for you sometimes to keep on top of everything but you seem to be doing amazingly and I admire that you are doing all this on your own. So hats off to you for coping so well and I am sure the foggy brain will lift at some point!

I am sure there will many users here who have experienced chemo brain or the children and chemo brain combo ;) I hope they will be along soon to share their chemo brain stories with you. In fact you can read some of their chemo brain experiences on this thread which I am sure will make you laugh.

Should you wish to discuss this with our nurses, you are welcome to give them a call on this free number if you live in the UK 0808 800 4040. Their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator