Together we will beat cancer

Donate

cervical screening - under 25?

12 Mar 2018 06:44

hello, I'm almost 19 and I'm currently having some investigations done to look into symptoms I've had for a while now (extreme fatigue, leg and lower back pain, occasional bleeding) but there's been no mention of doing a cervical smear test. I'm getting an ultrasound done this week but would it be necessary to ask if it's possible to have a smear test done as well, or would the ultrasound cover any possible causes? I know they're generally not given to people under 25, but I had ovarian cancer when I was 12 and I'm anxious about anything gynaecological. x

Re: cervical screening - under 25?

13 Mar 2018 16:09 in response to pxsces

Hello and thanks for your post

I am very sorry to learn about your cancer diagnosis as a child and about the symptoms you are currently experiencing. Hopefully the ultrasound will give the doctors more information about the likely cause of them.

A woman living in England is not invited for cervical screening until the age of 25 years.One of the reasons why younger women are not offered the smear test is because abnormal cervical cells are fairly common.  Finding them in young women (under 25) can present doctors with a bit of a dilemma. This is because abnormal cells often get better without any treatment in women below 25. So doing smear tests in women in their teens and early 20s could lead to over treatment. This combined with the fact that in the UK, cervical cancer is rare below the age of 25 means that the experts have voted unanimously to keep the age at which screening starts at 25. You can read more about this on Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust website by clicking here.  

I hope you know more about your situation soon. If you would like to speak to a nurse please give us a call on 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Best wishes,

Celene