Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Cervical cancer symptoms

10 Aug 2018 10:50

Hi I have had some symptoms latley just need advice if I do need to get a check done I'm 22 years old I am a smoker. TMI pain during/after intercourse bleeding as well been alot worse latley period was on 16 the July until the 23rd had intercourse on 4th August and had Shap stabbing pains then bleeding until the 9th only due to have my next period around the 15 the August . Also have really bad periods in general always have but the last year alot of pain and bleeding after intercourse. My grandmother has had a hysterectomy due to having Endometrial hyperplasia my mother has also had a hysterectomy due to her cells changing and also having Endometrial hyperplasia. Any advice please this is my first post as I'm very private person really but starting to become concerned thank you.

Re: Cervical cancer symptoms

10 Aug 2018 11:53 in response to Michelle1996

Hi Michelle and thanks for posting, 

Bleeding and pain during/after sex can occur for several reasons and the only way to find out what is going on is to see your GP, so do make an appointment.

At your age cervical cancer would be unlikely, but there could be the possibility that you have an infection that needs prompt treatment. Pelvic infections can sometimes cause fertility problems later on, so in case this is what is wrong (and it may not be) it is important to get checked out soon. And at the same time, you can discuss your periods and see if the GP can suggest something to help. 

I don't think your family history of endometrial hyperplasia is relevant to your current symptoms but do mention it to the GP as I am not a doctor so can't say this for sure.

I think with gynaecological problems, however private or shy we may feel about our bodies, we women just have to bite the bullet and tell the doctor what is going on. If the GP doesn't know they can't help and although it can be embarrassing, they do their best to make us feel at ease.  You can often get an appointment with a female GP so ask for one as this may be easier.

Give us a call if you want to talk anything over, our number is 0808 800 4040 and we are around from 9am to 5pm.

Al the best

Julia