Capecitabine

Hi I was diagnosed with breast cancer that had spread to my bones in January 2016 I have had various treatments including tamoxifen radiotherapy and 1 round of chemo. Unfortunately I have now had to start a new course of chemo in the form of Capecitabine I have to take 5 tablets twice a day for 2 weeks and then I get a week off. My consultant has said  these are easily tolrelated and side effects are minimal however I have found myself really struggling with stomach problems and really debilitating fatigue.  I wondered if anyone else had similar experiences with capecitabine. My 1st round was a total nightmare as I found myself in hospital twice. They thought my dose may have been too high however my consultant disagreed and felt I had a virus hanging around me so we agreed to go again. I just seem to be struggling with this at the mo and although I am hoping it will settle down but I am worried especially as people have told me it is relatively easy to tolerate I wonder why I am struggling.

• Welcome to the forum Kazlynn999 although I'm really sorry you're having a tough time with the side effects of capecitabine at the present time.

Everyone reacts differently to chemo so try not to compare to yourself to others if you can. I've actually found a discussion on the forum where two other members are discussing the side effects you're experiencing so do have a look and join in as our members are very friendly and will do all they can to help you at this time.

I've included some information we have about capectibine on our website but feel free to give our cancer nurses a call if you'd like to chat to them about this as well. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope this helps Kazlynn and that you experience less side effects soon.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator