Cancer Sucks

Yesterday I met with my oncologist for the first time.

This appointment was not positive, Stanley has grown 2.5cm (approx) in 17 days.

I've been told that I may not have time for fertility treatment (I'll know more after my appointment Thurday) unless I opt to have a mastectomy.

A mastectomy is a last resort for me. But coming to terms with the fact I may not be able to have children is another massive blow.

I've just turned 30 and I've been married 7mths. This was not part of the plan. In fact this is as far from the plan as possible. 

In short cancer sucks. 

• It certainly does suck. I had lumpectomy and have had 4 sessions of radio & I just keep thinking, why me? but you can drive yourself mad looking for answers & it takes up a lot of much needed strength. Channel that anger into fighting & please do not give up. 

It's not fair but for some reason this is the hand we've been dealt so show em what you're made of & one day at a time works for me. It prob seems like it's all too much at the moment & there are so many decisions to make. I was completely overwhelmed by it all but as the days go by & more decisions are made it gets easier.

Please stay strong & keep fighting. 

Thoughts are with you  X 

• Hi Madimoo

Yes it certainly sucks but it is what it is. Take it one step at a time. Ask loads of questions so you're well informed. I found the more i knew about my diagnosis, treatment, effects on my body, and the focus on the positive final outcome helped me to be in control of my "Stanley". I meditate which also helped me to focus on recovery. Its no easy journey but you are in the system now & will be treated. The word "cancer" takes time to come to terms with & i wont lie - there will be good days & bad days but you CAN get through this. I am a very strong person but my strength went on holiday at times when faced with big blows but the strength is there & comes back. This forum is great to let your feelings out & talking to those who are going thru the same "bumps". You will get there.xx

• I second Jbains reply. You'd be amazed what you can bear. I reckon we're never given anything in life we can't handle, even if that thing is horrendous. I'm just starting my recovery from pancreatic cancer surgery and I've got a long road ahead with no idea what will be on that road yet but hey, I'm still breathing today so that'll do for now. Yeah, cancer sucks big time!