Breast cancer stage 1

Was diagnosed fri 

stage 1 breast cancer 6mm 

op 22nd Dec 

• Hi Whistabke. Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Welcome to the forum. You are not alone and I can understand it feels very lonely. I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. If you need to vent or chat about anything this forum is a great place to do it. It has been my saviour. It is not great timing. I had my biopsy around dec 22nd last year and then it all began. We are here for every stage of your journey. Please let us know how you're doing. Have you been told what treatment is planned if any? How are you feeling mentally?
  • Hi fellow kentish lass ... welcome to our little chat room ... im breast cancer lady too ... stage 3 her 2 ... had mastectomy 4 months ago, and I was so worried, and it wasn't half as bad as I'd imagined ... under arm where they took the lymph node was sorest... some others have said the same ... with one of us ladies at home that evening having cup of tea in her home ... look on rileyroo thread, there's a few of us breast cancer ladies on there, they will help you through this "waiting" stage ... we all hated that bit ... it's the unknown that is scary ... but try to keep as busy as poss... and you can let people wait on you at Christmas... 

You can always chat to us ... or have a good rant ... you have jumped on our rollercoaster, its a bumpy ol ride, but look round and you'll see us on there with you ... but remember it is really normal to feel like you do ... any questions we can help you with, just ask hunny .... Chrissie xx

• Hi, my name's Sharon and I'm 56, living in Suffolk. I was dx at end of October, exactly the same size as you, first Dr was an **bleep**  and poo pooed it because of its size, so much so I actually contemplated not having surgery, as it was 'almost nothing' (his words). But when I spoke to surgeon she was lovely and said 'doesn't matter what size, cancer is cancer and has to come out'

Had wle 2 weeks later, and then, unfortunately, had to go back under two weeks ago this coming thursday, as one little *** was spotted far away from the 'cluster' right on the margin

My surgeon is lovely and I will end up with no scarring from either lymph node nor cancer removal, as she went through a crease in my armpit and around the areola, even the second op has caused no scarring as she went through same incision as before

Now remember everyone is different when I say this next bit, I was, perhaps, lucky, in that I had no pain from either site and only the mildest of 'stinging' sensation from the nerves around the lymph nodes, almost like a bad stinging nettle sting, that, four weeks on, has completely gone. However my best friend, who is a week ahead of me, has still got pain 5 weeks on, listen to your own body, not anyone else, even if they've had BC this is your journey not theirs

After both surgeries I was home that night, but, take an overnight bag with you just in case, make sure you include some lip balm as you get very dry lips through the operation and some handcream for the same reasons. They will not let you home if there is no one to look after you, or if you need a drip up for any reason

DONT skip your exercises nor the massage they say to do to help any fluid disperse

DO get plenty of rest, although I felt well with minimal pain, I was utterly exhausted from after effects of anesthesia, even two weeks after at check up appointment

DO tell the nurses,BCN,surgeon, Dr whomever if you have pain, pain can be managed and it's not stoic nor brave to put up with it

Unfortunately mine came back as triple negative (my best friend is hormonal ) so despite the poo point of that insensitive first Dr I am having to have chemotherapy and radiotherapy, but, positivity is the way forward, it's been caught really early and, tbh, it's the 'best' worst outcome we could've been given (even being tnbc)

i go the Wednesday for the update, fingers x they got it all and no more lurkers, then I find what my pathway entails, but long or short, I intend to get there, even if it's on my hands and knees

if you want a chat just say so xx

• Hello 

so I have a pre op chat next Monday 

lumpectomy 

radiotherapy 

tamoxifen for 5 years 

my mum died of breast cancer at 46, 30 years ago 

I was in a family history mammogram programme 

mine was found on mammogram I can't feel it. 

Waiting for her2 results although they think unlikely to have that 

also had lymphs checked on ultrasound which looked fine but surgeon will take two out during op 

i feel scared, worried, angry, upset 

I have 6 children the youngest two are 7 and 5 

i need to see them grow up so I'm being very positive I will be ok 

• Mine is not triple negative 

hormone based. 

Very scared but my mum had it 30 years ago. 

Mine was found on mammogram 

it didn't hurt when I had a biopsy so hoping to breeze through this. 

My youngest two are 7 and 5 so they keep me busy 

I hope you are ok 

• Similar treatment path to both [@Jbains]‍ and myself. Mine was found via the screening programme but not palpable. 

I’ve completed the active treatment part, Been discharged from Oncology back to the Breast Unit and annual monitoring. 

Happy to chat if you like. 

• Whistabke it is very scary and I felt the same way. I lost my mom 19 years ago to secondary breast cancer, have been having mammograms since 40 as one of my sister's had it as well 7 years ago. Mine was detected when I was just turning 50 and going to the mammos every year and the results being fine you get used to that then all of a sudden yoyr whole world goes boom. Take it one day at a time and one step at a time. Everyone reacts differently. Mine was also detected on mammo and had lumpectomy, one node removed and radiation treatment. Mine is estrogen and progesterone positive and HER2 negative and tamoxifen for 5 possibly 10 years. I didn't find it easy but like I said everyone reacts differently. Keep chatting and please ask anything. Let us know how pre-op chat goes. Stay strong but cry if you need to and vent if you need to.
  • Are you ok? 

It all sounds so positive I'm scared to believe I will be ok because of my mum. Hers was found too late. 

I feel lucky mine was found. 

I thought my mammograms would always be clear so I felt devastated but I'm ok and ready to tackle this. 

• Most people I chat too seem to have bigger lumps and require more treatment 

I need to chat to someone similar to mine.

how are you feeling? Was op ok? 

Painful? 

X

• I’ve had worse trips to the dentist. Honestly, the op is nothing to worry about. I was in and out within a day, went into theatre about 2, was back on the ward at 4 and dressed by 4-30. Had tea at 5-15 and home with a cuppa by 7-30. Took a couple of paracetamol before I went to bed as I was getting a bit uncomfortable. 

I had two and a half weeks off work and then went back. 

Like I said, in my case very easy and straightforward.