Bowel Cancer at 23?

I was wondering how common it is for someone my age 23 to have bowl cancer? Why I ask is because for 6 weeks I’ve been bleeding from my back passage when I’ve gone for a poo, not just a dribble but to the point the toilet bowl is full of fresh blood and same goes for when I wipe. 

Iv been seen by 4 different doctors in them 6 weeks, had a examination each time to see if they can feel for piles and also to see if I’ve got a anal fissure but everytime the outcome is I haven’t.  I have also been treated for IBS but that didn’t work. 

In the past 6 weeks I’ve had one week where I wasn’t bleeding but got agonising pain in my abdomen and back. The day the pain stopped the bleeding returned and I’ve been having clots. Today the bleeding has stopped but I’m back to being in pain. 

I had an appointment at the hospital this week and the doctor again examined me and again he said there is no sign of piles or a fissure. I did a stool sample before and that can back fine. 

I’m now booked in to have a colonoscopy in a matter of weeks. 

Ive been putting off the thought of bowl cancer as I didn’t think it was common in my age gap but there is family history of bowl cancer and I’ve also got other symptoms that relate - ie bloating, loosing weight, tiredness, going to the toilet more frequently and feeling sick ( haven’t vomited yet). 

I guess im just searching everywhere for answers and just want to know if there is a slight chance this could be what I’ve been putting off.. bowl cancer. 

• It’s possible but extremely unlikely to get bowel cancer at 23, like really, really unlikely.

My Dad had stomach ulcers & he had lots of blood coming out when he went to the toilet. He thought it was something really serious but ended up being cleared by antibiotics.

You should go to your GP & demand a colonoscopy, that will rule anything really bad out & give you peace of mind.

Can I ask please how long your stool sample results took to come back? I’m waiting for those to come back for an issue similar to yours (been a week since I gave it in & still nothing) but I only had blood once & it was a tiny bit.

I’ve had, I would say mild abdominal pain for a few weeks. Nobody seems to be replying to my post, must be because I’m a bloke & it’s mainly women on here.

Matt

• Yeah I thought it was rare for my age gap to get it, but with family history of bowl cancer I can’t rule it out and it keeps playing on my mind that it could be serious. 

Im waiting for a letter to come through about a colonoscopy. The doctors haven’t got a clue what’s happening so I thought I’d ask in here if anyone my age has gone through what I’m going through. 

The stool sample took just over a week to come back back but I had to ring my doctors to find out the results so may be best ringing them up to see if they have got the results ️ 

Chelsie

• Hi,

I am 31 and got diagnosed with bowel cancer pretty out of the blue to be honest, I was bleeding and going to the toilet about 8-10 times a day. Apart from that o had no other symptoms. After about 4 weeks I spoke to my go and had blood and stool tests both came back completely normal except the blood test said I was alright anemic ( this was due to the loss of blood). My GP sent me for a colonoscopy just to be on the safe side, when I had that, (prepare for the drinks you have to have before it, if you need any advise on them just let me know, they aren't pleasant) they found a tumour which they took biopsies of, they prepared me for the worst news which is good I suppose because you can prepare. I got called in a week later for the results and was told it was cancer, I had the operation 4 days later and I'm currently going through chemo.

It's worth getting checked, the only advise I can give you is to keep positive and also don't go on Google . If you want any other info please just ask

Hope all goes well for you.

Sarah