bowel cancer

Still have colostomy bag on after six months and told I am not fit enough for surgery but trying to stay positive
  • Hi I to had a colostomy 4 weeks go because I have retal cancer and feel ok got to have chemo next to stay alive as I'm terminal have been for for 4 yrs I try to be positive that's the only way for me anyway 

• Hi , I have had a bag now for 2 years and at my 2 year check I asked about reversal and was advised it was a major op again and then everything might not "work normally".  I have decided that I can live with the bag rather than risk accidents if I had the reversal.  It's not nice to come to terms with and it is still very early days for you but I promise you that it becomes easier and you can accept it as part of life.  I have recently coped with 16 days in Thailand with a 13 hr flight and also went swimming in both pool and sea for the first time which gave me a lot of confidence.  Look to the future - you CAN do it.

• I admire you Jayne33. My wife is the same = we are keeping the bag and its part of our life now. We decided on the minimum number of operations and procedures = so the reveral - which is a big op. She refused. We find the bag okay having had it for about 16 months now. She had rectal

All the best to you Bigmac

steve

• Well done on making the decision as well.  It does become a part of life and I do smile to myself sometimes when I think I have coped with far worse changing babies nappies! !  (You have to laugh about it sometimes eh?).     Jayne