Bladder cancer

hi my partner has been diagnosed with bladder cancer he has been told he has to make a choice about treatment  but he is finding it hard ,does anyone have any advice about treatments and how to choose between a radical bladder removal or the chemo flushing treatment which I believe is also quite intensive .

•  

Hi Questions,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I am so sorry to hear about your partner’s diagnosis. It sounds to me as if his consultant hasn’t discussed the ins and outs of these procedures fully before expecting your partner to make a potentially life-saving decision. This is not on. He cannot make any decision until he knows all the facts. Do you always accompany your partner to his appointments? It is always wise for him to take somebody with him. It is also a good idea to draw up a list of questions between each appointment and to bring that along to each consultation.

You might find it helpful to use the ‘Ask the Nurses’ section of this site, as they have the medical knowledge to answer your question. You can also phone them Freephone on 0808 800 4040. You could also use the search engine on the blue band at the top of this page. Type in ‘bladder cancer’ and you will then find previous posts which might be helpful.

Whichever choice he makes I hope that it is the right one for him. Please keep us informed of his decision and on how he gets on. Remember that if either of you want to talk, there is always someone here to respond,

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thank you for replying , it's been an odd journey for us it's been going on since last September we eventually got a diagnosis of pre cancerous cells which we were relived at but then after chasing up an appointment we were told we had a change of consultants and that my partner had bladder cancer not just pre cancerous cells which was a shock . He has had to have two biopsys done because of change of consultant and now we have another two week wait for results and then we have to make a final decision on which treatment , the consultant seems to want to do a radical removal of the bladder but it's such a big decision we have been given information on both treatments to a degree buts it's hard to make a choice

•  

It is always hard to make a decision like this. All you can do is to find as much information as you can about both options, then you can make a balanced judgement.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thanks that's what we are trying to do , it's inspiring reading other people's stories

• Dear Questions 

Just wondering which route you and your partner decided on as my dad is in exactly the same position and we have no idea which option is best for him ♡♡♡

Do you have any advice? 

Thank you so much

Xxxx

• Also just dagnosed and had 2nd scraping this week. cancer only on surface but they are talking about possible removal of bladder. going to reject decision and do chemo flush. personal option. 

Dooga