Biopsy results

Hi everyone my name is Char, i have a few bignin bits in my body now, the brain being one along with the breast. 

but my latest has been a Mole. 

So i was just wondering if someone can help explain some bits to me. 

I  recived my mole biopsy results today and although what ever it was has been succesfully removed i feel a little confused by what they are saying, google has helped some.  

So i understand what dysplasia means now and i think i have got the legntiginous compound nevus bit. 

but what i dont get is he has wrote-you will be pleased to know there was no cancerous change. but i am thinking this means, there was none as this was my 1st biopsy for this. 

but then he goes on to say- however there was some abnormal cells. 

could them cells of  been the start of something bad ? 

or is it just they do not know and like the rest of the body with bignin lums and bups? 

sorry if i have posted in the wrong place. 

Many thanks char. 

• Hi Char,

OK, it's all so confusing when it comes down to moles because you expect to hear that it was either benign or cancerous. It's not that simple I'm afraid, however you have no reason to worry - it wasn't cancerous.

The third option with regard to moles is - abnormal or dysplastic (means the same thing). These are moles that look dodgy but when biopsied they are found to be benign. However, their cells have abnormalities in them which can turn to cancer cells in the future. They aren't cancerous now, but if they weren't removed they MAY turn cancerous in the future. So they like to remove these type of moles to avoid any future problems.

The wording 'no cancerous change' just means that the cells hadn't turned cancerous - it's not alluding to any change since it was previously checked as this was your first biopsy.

Do you have many moles? Some people with dysplastic moles tend to have over 100 moles so they are told to keep an eye on them for any future changes as they have more chance to be dysplastic. If you don't have many moles that's good, however it still makes sense just to check them every month so that you know if something needs checking out.

The good thng is that you don't have melanoma - you had a dysplastic mole removed that now has no chance to turn cancerous in the future. My brother, niece & nephew have all had these type of moles removed over the years & they are fine - they just keep an eye on the rest of their moles now.

So you can breathe a sigh of relief. See this as an opportunity to take care of your skin, especially with regards to safe sun exposure as this is what causes damage to moles. 

Angie (melanoma patient)

• Angie

Sorry to hear you have what you have. Hope you are couping well. 

Feel bad questioning mine when many are going through what they are. 

I was more just wanting to know if they were the start as in just changing but not there if that makes sense.

You have answered my questions perfectly thank you very much for your time. letters can be so confusing with all there big wording.

Yes lots of moles and a note on the letter to keep an eye on them, making sure to have any im worried about checked. 

Many thanks char