Awaiting biopsy results

Hi guys,

So I had 2 moles removed 2 weeks ago on Thursday, had my stitches removed today and unfortunately the cut on my arm split back open.. however the one on my forehead has healed fine. Just playing the waiting game now for my results! I haven't been feeling too well recently, thankfully not covid but just fatigue, headaches and strangely enough a bit of unintentional weight loss. Hoping just a coincidence and that I'm just tired haha. 

I know the biopsy results take about 2-4 weeks to come back but does anyone know if it's closer to the 2 weeks or the end of the 4 weeks?? I'm just so impatient sorry

• I feel your pain! I also had a mole removed on Monday on my arm, the waiting is just the worst. 

I hope your aren't waiting too much longer!

• Hi,

Sadly you will be waiting towards the 4 week end - just got to keep yourself busy to try and distract yourself from thinking about it. I think your weight loss etc are probably due to stress whilst waiting for your results. Sometimes we think we are coping OK but stress is working away without us knowing it. Try to take time out of each day to meditate - just a warm bath with some soothing music can help. 

I hope you hear from them very soon. Good luck and please let us know how you get on,

Angie (melanoma patient)

• Hi,

Little update... well not really much TO update, still haven't received any results or heard anything from the hospital regarding the biopsy. Contacted my GP so waiting to hear back. Wondering if maybe covid has caused a delay? Ah who knows! 

• Hi! 

Hope you're doing okay! I'm still awaiting results unfortunately, have you heard anything yourself? Fingers crossed everything is well for you! :)

• Hi missmk14,

Sorry to hear your wound opened up. Keep an eye out for infection!

Waiting can be worse than diagnosis?

I have had three gradually wider excisions on an atypical lintago maligna (& a BAD bout of cellulitis between 2 of the proceddures), and waited various timescales between each proceedure (possibly due to MDT meetings). This was pre-Covid (2017-2018). 

I've since had a multiple other wide excisions on a varying scale of ugly to nasty patches (/moles/nevi/freckles...whatever they are identified as), and as far as results go, they too were always back in under 2 weeks (2018-2019). I too experienced 'splits' after suture removal. Most have ....stretched (I must have paper skin), but that's a whole other vanity issue!

I have recently (16th June) had a 6mm punch biopsy of a suspiciously similar area on the LM scar edge, and I have not had results as of today. I maybe an 'old hand' at this now, but it never gets easier. (Nightly checks on my online NHS record have begun, which isnt health).  This is the longest I have personally had to wait, but I was warned this could be the case.

I was kindly given the option of 1) Get called back in to Dermatology either way or 2) Hear nothing, and get an 'all clear' letter in the post/ get a bad news phone call.

I thought option 2 was preferable....but now I wish Id asked for an option 3) A call either way.

We wait together @missmk14!         I'm hoping the mailman brings my news soon.

How do you expect to hear your results? 

• Hey LintagoM,

Wow! So sorry to hear you've been through all of that, I can't imagine how stressful it must have been/is for you going through so much. The waiting game is really is horrible, your mind goes on a wander no matter how many times you try to reel it back in! 

Im trying to go by the 'no news is good news' but that's not necessarily always the case any more. The cut on my arm has healed nicely again after splitting, the scar has also stretched but not the end of the world I guess haha. 

As for how I'm recieving my results, I can't really confirm... after the biopsy procedure took place, my dermatologist sort of finished up, smiled and the said 'i'll be in touch soon' and walked out of the room. I had a call the next day from the GP that originally referred me as he wanted to check what was going on, he said that if I hadn't heard anything after 4 weeks then to get in touch so now I'm just waiting to hear from the GP surgery again to see if they have any results. If not i'll give dermatology a call! 

I have everything crossed for you that your results come back okay and I hope you don't get too stressed waiting. Please let me know how you get on! 

Eva x

• Thanks Eva,

Having bits chopped out, large visible scars and regularly playing the waiting game can play havoc with emotions, but having 2 kids keeps me distracted and puts everything in prospective. (And my youngest will chearfully point out the MANY far worse flaws about my person, than my surgical ones. Cheers chick!)

I hate that "we'll be in touch" phrase. Soo not helpful.

I hope you hear soon, and it's all good.

(What was yours suspected to be? Did they indicate?)

• Awww! Kids are funny, they just say exactly what's on their mind without a filter hahaha! It's great they can be your distraction, gives you that little break from fighting your mind of the ifs and buts health wise. 

As for the 'we'll be in touch', it absolutely drives me mad. He ran out too quickly for me to even ask anything more lol. 

The mole on my forehead he wasn't too concerned about but wanted it removed anyway, the one on my arm was suspected melanoma as it had gotten bigger, dark patches in and was weirdly peeling. I'm a 18 year old ginge so was told I have a higher risk for melanoma anyway so that was just the icing on the cake for me haha. 

• Just realised I didn't specify what type of melanoma, although he didn't really say.. was just adamant to remove both moles.

• I'm also still waiting for results, just over 2 weeks for me now since removal.

Had my stitches removed yesterday but nurse said they hadn't received anything, only that I had it removed.