Advice needed

Hi Everyone,

I have a poorly defined nodule on my thyroid and am awaiting tests, going this week for an ultrasound. Does poorly defined me the same as poorly differentiated?

Thank you

• Hi HeatherMary,

To be honest I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but if you'd like to speak to one of our nurses about this then you can either post in the 'Ask the Nurses' section of this forum, or you can give them a call on 0808 800 4040 (Monday-Friday, 9-5).

Otherwise you can of course talk things through at your appointment to get your question answered.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello Ben

Thank you so much for replying. I will phone the nurses tomorrow.

Heather

• I don't know either, but to be honest, I doubt it. It sounds like you have not been diagnosed with anything yet? Poorly differentiated would surely be something that would be determined after diagnosis. I think, though I could certainly be wrong (as I am not a medical professional and my only information comes from having had thyroid cancer myself), that poorly defined is simply a description of how the nodule looked and gives the medical professionals some indication as how likely it is to be cancer. I think poorly differentiated is more about what type of cancer one has, if one has cancer at all.

Of course, take the nurses' word rather than mine, but that would be my understanding.

• Thank you for answering, I think what you said is probably correct from what I can gather also. It sounds as though you have come through thyroid cancer and I hope you are now well and enjoying life. Having my ultrasound this Thursday so fingers crossed! 

• I am absolutely fine and really was pretty much fine all the time, except for a few days after the operation. The stress was probably the worst part. Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about my experience.

Best of luck with the ultrasound and so on. Hopefully, it won't be cancer, but even if it is, most thyroid cancers are very treatable and usually without chemotherapy or anything ike that!