Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Gamma knife

21 Jan 2018 17:42

Home after 1st brain tumour successfully removed yea Hah !

Have 2 months break before the do the next one with gamma knife 

Does anyone have any experience of gamma knife? 

Can it be used more than Once?  I am told I have had these since 1976 when I had cranial radiation and will always continue to grow more

Re: Gamma knife

21 Jan 2018 18:40 in response to Midnightfish

I did one of those look good feel better things and there was a lady there who had quite a few gamma knife treatments so it would seem so, in her case any way. 

22 Jan 2018 09:26 in response to rileyroo

Thanks ,very Re assuring.someone told me it could only be used once.

Does anyone know if they can still do mri scans after brain surgury ? theyve used titanium screws...don't fancy ct scan as even more radiation...suppose it won't matter though as too late now..

9 Feb 2018 13:02 in response to Midnightfish

Still trying to wriggle out of any injections..does anyone know if a local anaestic cream could be an alternative when having the face frame fitted for gamma knife ?

9 Feb 2018 13:51 in response to Midnightfish

Hi Midnightfish, 

I hope you don't mind me stopping by but I noticed your question and wanted to give you our cancer nurses telephone number as they may be in the best position to answer this. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and lines are open between 9a.m - 5p.m, Monday - Friday so do give them a call if you want to chat to them about this.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

9 Feb 2018 17:44 in response to Moderator Steph

Thanks, will try it

regardsChloe

9 Feb 2018 20:07 in response to Midnightfish

Hi Midnightfish,

Congratulations on getting your first brain tumour removed. 

If you Google Stereotactic Radiosurgery or SRS you will get more relevant hits than using gamma knife. My limited understanding (my wife had SRS following a sub-arachnoid haemmorhage and a friend had it to treat brain mets) is that multiple use is almost routine. http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/777/1/012031/pdf

Good luck Happy

Dave