Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Low grade dyskaryosis

18 Jul 2016 21:56

Hi.. I have had severe dyskatyosis in the past and had a loop excision done.. That was 1 year ago.. I've just had a follow up smear and it is now saying low grade dyskaryosis.. And also positive for Hpv.. I have to have another colposcopy and I'm worried only last time I got a massive infection and was ill for 1 month.. Bleeding and discharge.. Soon a little scared to have the whole procedure again.. But I will..-also. Is it safe to still have sex with Hpv.. ? Only I haven't been told anything about this.. Can iPass it on to anyone else? Thanks 

Re: Low grade dyskaryosis

19 Jul 2016 14:50 in response to ShellBell

Hi ShellBell and thank you for your post.

The quick answer to your question is that it is okay to continue having sex. I am sorry to hear about your previous experience of colposcopy treatment. If low grade dyskaryosis is confirmed at colposcopy it is unlikely that would need treatment this time, you would be followed up with a smear in one year. Even if you needed another treatment it is unlikely that your first experience would happen again.

HPV is a common infection and it is estimated that most people who are sexually active will get HPV at some stage in their lives. Most people will have no symptoms and never know they had it. It is usually cleared by the immune system within a two to three year period. There is no treatment for HPV. Some types of HPV are known to cause abnormal changes that are more likely to persist (not go away), and in some women these changes may go on to cause cervical cancer.

It is not known why some women retain the HPV virus, nor is it known why a small proportion of those who do not clear the virus go on to develop cancer. Not all women with persist abnormal cells go on to develop cancer. There is usually a long transition period (10 years or more) in those women with untreated abnormal cells who go on to develop cancer. We know that women who smoke or who have a defective immune system retain the virus for longer and are at higher risk of developing cancer. Treatment is very effective at preventing cancer. There is more information on HPV and the other risks and causes of cervical cancer on the link here.

Men are less affected by HPV, your partner’s immune system may well have cleared any HPV he was exposed to. There is no reliable screening test for male genital HPV.

I hope that this information is helpful and that all goes well for you.

With kind regards,

Mary

12 Jun 2017 10:35 in response to ShellBell

Hi i have just received a letter and i have exactly the same as you.  I am going for the examination in july. I am little worried about it.

20 Jun 2017 20:35 in response to Pennyc

Re: low grade dyskaryosis Hi I'm new to the chat but I received a letter today saying that I had the same thing..& that the lab also checked my sample for HPV & that I have an HPV infection. I've never had a colposcopy but the Letter said they will get in touch to arrange an appointment for me. Just to let you ladies know your not alone xx

24 Jun 2017 10:58 in response to veevee
Hi. Same letter today. Feel slightly panicked.

26 Jun 2017 13:18 in response to Bee78
I am so relived there are other women posting about this, I got my Letter on the weekend and have done nothing but panic as I haven't had a period in over 2 months also but have had mild "period-esq" symptoms and now I'm worried it could be the worst as I can't find symptoms for it ANYWHERE only for things that are worse, it doesn't help that I came off the pill at around the same time (100% not pregnant) so my head is everywhere

26 Jun 2017 16:53 in response to ChelseyP

Hi

I can see that there are a few of you who have been sent a letter after your smear test saying you have low grade dyskariosis. This means that you have some abnormal cervical cell changes which can be caused by HPV. This is not cancer. So please do not be panicked.

We have some useful information about abnormal cervical cells which you can read about here. Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust  also has some useful information on this too. 

I am not sure I can add anything else to what my colleague Mary has said in the earlier post, so all I can suggest is you give us a call and speak to us on the phone, our number is 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Best wishes,

Georgina

27 Jun 2017 08:28 in response to CRUK Nurse Georgina
Thank you for the advice. Is it necessary to tell (ex) partner that you have HPV?

29 Jun 2017 09:21 in response to Bee78

Hello Bee78 and thank you for your post.

This is a very reasonable question to ask, but like most questions around cervical screening it is not straight forward to answer. It is not possible to say when someone became infected with HPV, your situation may have had nothing to do with your ex-partner. Men are less affected by HPV. If your ex-partner was exposed to HPV with you, or if he was exposed to it previously it is very likely that he has cleared it. So telling him about your HPV is very unlikely to benefit him, and there is currently no test available for men.

HPV is often describe as endemic in the population, This means that it is very common and most people who are sexually active will be exposed to it at some point in their lives. Most people will never know that they had a HPV infection and will clear the infection within 2-3 years. There is no treatment for HPV.

Women in a stable relationship may choose to discuss HPV with their partners. If couples do discuss HPV it is important that both understand that it does not mean one partner is, or has been unfaithful.

I hope that this information is helpful and that things go well for you.

With kind regards,

Mary

24 Jul 2017 15:10 in response to CRUK Nurse Georgina
i am very confused atm, i recieved a letter stating i have low grade dyskaryosis but hat i do not have an infection. there is no mention of a colposcopy. I am worrierd because my mum had to have a hysterectomy following abnormal cells being detected and that my nan died from cervical cancer.

25 Jul 2017 13:33 in response to nuttybird

Hello nuttybird,

I can appreciate that getting abnormal results of a smear test can be worrying.  But having low grade dyskaryosis does not mean you have cancer.  You have a very mild change to some of the cells that cover your cervix. The infection you mention is the HPV (human papillomavirus) which can cause the cells of the cervix to be abnormal sometimes.  However HPV can be cleared by the body’s immune system.  Mild abnormal changes with no HPV infection are likely to disappear on its own or stay the same that is why you do not need to be seen in the colposcopy clinic.

In the UK the Cervical Screening Program uses up to date guidance on who needs to be followed up for a colposcopy.  The guidance is evidence based and takes into account the latest knowledge of why cells become abnormal and what needs to be done to stop them developing into cancer. In England, Northern Ireland and Wales it is only women with a low grade dyskaryosis who are HPV positive  that need to be seen in the colposcopy clinic.  For women who are HPV negative and a low grade dyskaryosis it is safe to resume regular screening in the Cervical Screening Programme.

You might find reading our information about abnormal cervical test results helpful,  click here to see it.

Also the UK Charity Jo’s Trust have information that you might find helpful to read, click here to see it.

And the NHS have some information here

I hope this has been reassuring to read but please do get back to us if you have any more questions or call us on 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Take care

Caroline

31 Aug 2017 08:01 in response to CRUK Nurse Caroline
Hello, What a wonderful thread this is being able to share our worries and concerns. I too received a letter in the post yesterday following a routine smear test explaining that I have low grade dyskaryosis and that I also have HPV infection. I am worried by this as I wonder how I contracted the virus in the first place. I am married, I am faithful and have not had sex with anyone else other than my husband, does this mean that he has been unfaithful to me?

31 Aug 2017 16:04 in response to carabella

Hello Carabella,

Thanks for posting a question.

Doctors and scientists still have more to learn about HPV (the human papillomaviruses). But experts know that usually genital HPV clears up on its own in many women. But in some it does not completely go away. It can exist in very low levels, which may not cause any problems. But the virus can reactivate and cause abnormal cell changes many years down the line. This makes it difficult to know when anyone picked up HPV. You may have picked it up from your husband many years ago.  Also there are no reliable HPV tests for men making these things difficult to study.

So to answer your question, the fact that you have tested positive for high risk HPV certainly does not mean that your husband has definitely been unfaithful. during your marriage. If he had a previous partner he may have picked it up from them.  He would not have necessarily had full sex it. He could have picked it from a former partner by close genital skin to skin contact.

I hope this helps. Do contact us again if you think that it might be useful. If you would like to telephone our freephone number is 0808 8004040.  We are here from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

Kind regards,

Jean

31 Aug 2017 17:25 in response to CRUK Nurse Jean

Thank you so much for your response Jean, that is really helpful and reassuring

20 Sep 2017 13:45 in response to CRUK Nurse Jean
Hi I received my letter back stating I have low grade dyskaryosis with HPV infection. It does not say what grade HPV I have is there any way of finding out before my appointment? as this is very worrying for me. Like with me having low grade dyskaryosis does this mean that ther is only a slight change in my cells or does it mean that i could have cancer ?