35 years old, biopsy suspicious breast cancerous cells

Hi there,

first time poster, in fact i never thought i would ever find myself in this situation having no breast cancer in the the family, i also don’t match the usual risk factors but i guess that goes to show just how little we know about the reasons for getting breast cancer.

i found a firm lump about 2 weeks ago, GP referred to to a one-stop clinic and yesterday i had ultrasound, biopsy and mammogram. My breast consultant said i was a ‘mystery’ case, he said this because my initial biopsy have indeed suggested cancerous cells but the mammogram and ultrasound didn’t pick up anything. Is this a good sign? I’m getting an MRI done, he said if it is 100% cancerous it’s definitely early stage, but how can he know that if i haven’t don’t the MRI yet? I’m so worried and scared. Initially when he said this and told me its treatable i was relived and thought ‘cool, i’ll be fine’ but i’ve Since seen the statistics around reoccurrence, the stats that most survive more than 5 or 10 years, i’m only 35 years old... that’s not long :( i know this there are average statistics but i’d love to hear from others experiences, i don’t know anyone who has gone through this so it’s all so scary. 

I’m seeing my consultant tomorrow for the full biopsy report, the lump size is 1.6cm on my left breast. He didn’t say mastectomy when he talks about treatments but i want to reduce any chances of it coming back, so i’m seriously now considering it? 

Thanks for listening..

• Hello,

your in the very early stages of a scary journey but I promise you it gets easier, you will have your ups and downs for sure....do your utmost to stay off google and don't be getting wrapped up in stats, human nature will only zone in on the negatives, so what we must realise is there are plenty of good stats out there, plenty of survivors...

the biopsy results will have the answers, you'll find out what type it is and a treatment plan will be put swiftly into place. Talk to your consultant ref surgery options, be guided by them, if they suggest lumpectomy tell them your concerns....they are the experts. My treatment has been first class, I put myself totally in the experts hands ( which for a control freak was difficult)! 

You can and will get through this...pop back and let us know how it went? X

• hi there,

thank you for your reply and comforting words. my oncologist confirmed i have IDC, stage 1 and grade 2. i'm waitinf for full biospsy results on whether theyre hormone receptive or not. ultrasound didn't indicate it had spread but he will have to check that once i'm having the lumpsectomy and take some samples to ensure i'm all clear. fingers crossed, praying i don't have to go through chemo, that sounds so scary but at the same time i want to be cancer free...

can i ask what you have been diagnosed with?

thanks x

• Hi

Sorry you find yourself here.  It's a scary time going through diagnosis, I would say for me I. Hindsight it was the scariest time as it's the unknown. But as Marlyn has said things do get easier and your care team will guide you through anything and give you all the information to make the right decision for you. 
    Try and stay away from googling things, it will almost certainly lead you to the worst case scenario, treatment has come on so much that google doesn't reflect this. My mum had bc 17 years ago and is still going strong. My bc has been taken out, just radiotherapy to go and I should be ok, mine was grade 3 (downgraded to a 2 after my mastectomy) . 
    Sending you lots of love, you can do this. 
    wl

• Hello,

i too was invasive ductal carcinoma stage 1 grade 2, as it was 11mm I had a lumpectomy and a sentinel node removed ( for testing) they got clear margins and node was clear ( thank god) but as the tumour was her2+ ( oestrogen receptive) I was advised to have chemo.

fingers crossed you won't need chemo but I promise it won't be the end of the world if you do.....just cross bridges as and when....deal with the lumpectomy first, get that done and out the way, then look at the next step. This was the only way I could deal with it all as it can get extremely overwhelming.....

let us know how it goes? Xx

• Hello.

i am 35 and have also recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have triple positive invasive breast cancer. 2 tumours and also a 8cm mass of calcification.

its not thought to be in my lymph nodes, but It's uncertain.  Because my cancer is an agressive form I have to have all treatments and I start with chemo at the end of the month. 

I was also very shocked and didn't expect anything like this happen to me at such a young age. 

it sounds like yours has been caught very early and that's a really good thing, it means it's very treatable. 

good luck with everything xx

• Hi, good luck with chemo....are you having fec? I expect you'll also be on herceptin, I had my last herceptin 2 weeks ago...I had 9 in total instead of 18.... I'm on a trial.....

xxxx

• Hiya! I am too 35 and diagnosed with stage 2 hormone positive breast cancer. Starting chemo on Friday - had surgery on 30th September. Mine had spread to my first lymph node and bloodstream so I’ll be having FEC-T, radiotherapy and tamoxifen for 10 years xxx

• Hello,

good luck for Friday chemo, have you had your pre assessment day? It will be over before you know it.....will you be having herceptin too at some point? Xx

• No I haven’t. It was meant to be Friday but the oncologist wants me started like yesterday so the nurses will give me a rundown on the day. I have my blood tests the day before and my heart scan Tomorrow. No she never mentioned it so I’m assuming not. She did however say if my genetics come back with a faulty gene then she will be adding another medicine to the cocktail.

im more nervous for my heart scan to be honest. What if they melt my heart of ice hahaha.

im going to be slightly jealous of everyone enjoying the mulled wine this Christmas where I’m guessing I’ll not be allowed to have any?

already picked my wig and booked to have my hair taken off before it starts to fall out xxx

• You sound very organised. I was the same.....have you had chance for a dental checkup too? Flu jab? Your is happening real quick.....

The heart scan is a piece of cake, I've had 3 and have to have them regular because of the herceptin...

I can't imagine you'll fancy alcohol...lol....you'll have to let me know, my tastes completely changed during chemo.....however a friend of mine smashed chemo and even went to work straight after infusions....she really was hard core.....unlike me....a complete drama queen!!

let me know how it goes xx