Together we will beat cancer

Donate

2 lumps in neck

5 Oct 2018 10:27

Hi everyone...

Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

2 months ago I discovered a small (about the size of a pea) lump in the right side of my neck..after about 4 weeks the lump hadn't changed and was still present so I went to the GP to get it checked. I had no other symptoms/hadn't had a cold or illness. The GP half heartedly checked me over, to be honest he made me feel very silly for even going for such a "tiny lump". He sent me away and told me it was most likely a swollen lymph node and nothing to worry about.

A month on and the small lump is still present again not changed or got any bigger but I now also have a much larger (walnut sized) lump on the right side more under my chin. I am extremely fatigued, had a very slight sniffle but other than that no other symptoms.

I just wondered if anyone thinks it's worth heading back to the GP? He made me feel so silly before so I'm reluctant to go again but wondering if its worth going and requesting another appointment. 

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any tips on how to get a GP to take you seriously that would be great!

Re: 2 lumps in neck

5 Oct 2018 15:43 in response to Puggy89

Hi Puggy89 - this sounds very similar to my current situation and I've been referred for an ultrasound scan next week. I feel silly too, but my girlfriend made me go haha - now I'm just a ball of worry! I would try and push it through for a scan if possible - if anything, it will just put your mind at ease.

5 Oct 2018 16:21 in response to ald

Hi there, 

Thank you for your reply! Did you have to push hard for a scan or was your GP happy to do it? I'm thinking maybe I need to request to see a different GP. I hate making a fuss but feel like 2 months is a long time to have an unexplained lump and now I have two I'm even more worried.

I will keep everything crossed that you get the all clear. Let me know how you get on. 

11 Oct 2018 15:54 in response to Puggy89

Hi Puggy,

Sorry for the delayed response - I didn't get a notification!

I didn't have to push hard at all - they referred me within 2 weeks, as this is usual for cancer checks apparently.

I had my hospital appointment yesterday - the consultant said there are loads of lumps in my neck and I have my ultrasound next Wednesday and find the results out in the afternoon of the same day.

Absolutely ******** it, I won't lie haha.

12 Oct 2018 17:46 in response to ald

Hi ald,

Ok, thank you. Maybe I will go back and ask to see a different doctor. I still have the two lumps so I think maybe I should get checked over again.

Can I ask, have you had any other symptoms apart from the lumps? And also did the GP examine you and feel lots of lumps or was it only when you saw the consultant that he/she was able to feel them? 

I really hope your scan goes well and you get some good news, I have everything crossed for you. At least you will get the results the same day so won't have to wait ages. Please let me know how you get on. I know it's easier said than done but try to put it out of your mind until your scan, there is nothing you can do for the moment so try not to stress over it too much.

15 Oct 2018 09:26 in response to Puggy89

I believe I have other symptoms: fatigue, night sweats, ringing in ear. It was only when I saw the consultant that they felt lots more lumps.

Thank you, I just want the waiting to be over now, it's very frustrating. Appointments are this Wednesday, I'll let you know Happy I'm sure it's absolutely nothing.

How are you getting on?

15 Oct 2018 10:43 in response to ald

Thanks for the info. Like I said I have absolutely everything crossed that all goes well and you get positive news! 

I'm not too bad, I too am very fatigued and struggling to make it through the working week, I have also been generally irritated and itchy and feel like I have to clear my throat constantly. I'm trying to not think too much into it and have decided I will go to the doctors when we get back from our holiday (we are off to France for a week this weekend) going to try and put it all out of my mind and then make another doctors appointment if the lumps are still there when we are back! 

Hope you get the news you want on Wednesday.

15 Oct 2018 11:28 in response to Puggy89

Yeah it's very draining isn't it? 

Hope you're having a lovely time in France Happy enjoy it and don't worry! 

18 Oct 2018 21:14 in response to ald

How did it go ald? 

Any news? 

18 Oct 2018 22:08 in response to Puggy89

Hi Puggy if your not happy ask to see another GP.My GP told me I did not have cancer and my bloods didn't show it either but with scans,fine needle test and biopsy it was on the base of my tongue aswell as the neck.Follow it thru until your happy with all the investigating.

19 Oct 2018 09:47 in response to Puggy89

Hi Puggy - I have the all clear - what a relief! Thanks for asking Happy the lumps are raised lymph nodes that have been caused by an infection (who knows when from) and you can feel them more because I'm 'thin' apparently. My other symptoms are all related to stress (so not great), but thankful it isn't anything serious. How are you doing? How was your holiday?

8 Nov 2018 16:02 in response to Oldman60

Thank you. I ended up going back at the beginning of the week.... the lumps are still there (it's been over 3 months now) and I feel absolutely terrible.

I'm just about able to make it through work but evenings and weekends are spent sleeping/feeling awful. I'm sure at 29 that's not how it should be! The GP I saw this time was much better... he took much more time to examine me and listened to what I was saying. He has felt additional lumps that I didn't know I had and told me the initial lump is now around 1 and 1/2 cms. He has referred me to have full bloods and is also arranging an ultra sound to check the lumps so just waiting on an appointment. Hopefully it's nothing serious but I also know something is not right and would like a diagnosis. He said at this point it could be any of a number of things so will just have to wait and see. 

How long ago did you get diagnoses? Are you still undergoing treatment? 

8 Nov 2018 16:09 in response to ald

So glad to hear you got the all clear!

Had a wonderful time away but was very busy so not much of the rest I needed. As the weeks have passed I've just continued to feel worse and worse.

I'm absolutely exhausted all the time, suffering night sweats on occasion and also getting lots of headaches (particuarly behind my eyes). I went back and saw a different GP who was much more thorough and listened to what I was saying.... He found other lumps in my neck that I wasn't aware of. He has sent me for full bloods and an ultra sound so will be getting bloods done on Monday and then wait for an apt for scan. I'm really hoping it's nothing serious but so fed up of feeling so awful so would really like some sort of diagnosis! 

How are your symptoms now? Have you figured out what's been stressing you out? 

8 Nov 2018 20:04 in response to Puggy89

Hi Puggy its 7years ago since I had cancer of the tongue and neck.I have been all clear up to now thank God.Make sure they get a diagnosis of your problem. Try not to worry until you get confirmation what the problem is.Best of luck from Patrick