Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

17 and been told need an ultrasound

7 Mar 2018 08:52

Hi,

My symptoms are as follows,

-Swelling and pain on the left side of my lower tummy.

-Irregular periods.

-Lower back and leg pain

-Heartburn, painful wind and indigestion.

-Feeling full without having eaten

-Needing a wee more often

-Pain during sex and sometimes when having a bowel movement.

I went to my doctor a few days ago with these symptoms and she felt my stomach, said it’s where my ovary is, and said she needed to refer me for a scan. She told me not to worry but the scan shouldn’t be long. She was concerned about the pain I am having, and so am I. Very uncomfortable. I’ve had cysts before and the pain is not the same as then, so very worried. 

Re: 17 and been told need an ultrasound

7 Mar 2018 10:08 in response to foxsmummy

Hello foxsmummy; welcome to this forum.  Sorry  about the pain you are suffering and the consequent worry.  Nobody who posts here has any medical training and it would be irresponsible of us to make guesses.  I can only speak from a long history of being sent for various tests, most of which came back negative.    I eventually realised that my doctor was being conscientious and was sending me for some of the tests on the basis that it was best to make sure and be able to rule things out as well as confirm other things.   

You would be very young to get ovarian cancer.  I don't know if you have looked at this website's pages on ovarian cancer but it does point out - amongst other things - that the symptoms of ovarian cancer are identical to many other less serious problems.   I do understand your worry however.   Try not to let your imagination run away with you because the bottom line is that you (and your doctor) don't know what is causing the problem until you get the results.  Try to keep busy and not sit and brood.  I take it that you have not yet got a date for your scan but please do keep posting here if you are feeling worried as many people here will totally understand.  Also it would be nice to know the result of your scan . Best wishes.  Annie 

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/ovarian-cancer/symptoms

7 Mar 2018 10:13 in response to foxsmummy

Sorry, just noticed that this is Ask the Nurses - they will give you their response shortly!  Annie

8 Mar 2018 10:52 in response to foxsmummy

Hi Foxsmummy,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear that you are having some unpleasant symptoms. It is too easy sometimes to search symptoms on the internet and think the worst in these situations. But do try not to worry, there are many causes of these types symptoms and it is unlikely to be cancer, even more so given your age.

It’s good to hear you have seen your GP about this and that they have arranged for you to have an ultrasound scan to investigate what may be the cause of this pain.

Although you say the pain is different from when you previously had a ovarian cyst, although I can’t say for sure it is possible that this could still be the cause. In most cases the body itself gets rid of them within a few months. Have a look at NHS choices pages about ovarian cysts here.

It can often be a very troubling time waiting for tests and results. Easier said than done but try to keep yourself busy and your mind on other things if you can.

Hoping that you hear soon and all goes well. you can always call us on 0808 800 4040 or 020 3469 8355. We are here from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Take care,

Naomi

8 Mar 2018 12:38 in response to Annieliz

Thank you both for your replies, it means a lot! Been told my scan is in 2 weeks and is transvaginal, which is fine. I am just so so very bloated and struggling to eat, and my concern is whether or not I should wait until the scan or try and seek more urgent help. For the past week I’ve been eating despite not being hungry, and it’s really getting me down. Hard to do as well. Not sure if I should keep doing this or just wait and see if I get hungry. My GP isn’t in until Monday now, so if I call, I’ll be seeing someone different, so I don’t know if that’s a good idea. Perhaps I am overthinking! I do suffer anxiety and have just increased my dose of anti-depressant under doctor’s orders - so that could be contributing to my lack of appetite.

sorry it was ranty! Thanks for your responses - just so worrying as I know great grandma had issues with her ovaries (cancer) and my dad’s mum did also, so very stressed!