Together we will beat cancer

Donate

12 things never to say to someone who has cancer

20 Sep 2019 08:59 in response to Anotherday

Remain alive and well maybe Happy

15 Oct 2019 22:28 in response to Bexmac54

Oh, so true: I too find it hard to listen to their friends' experiences with cancer.

15 Oct 2019 22:31 in response to Moderator Sarah

Advice is definitely not welcome from anyone, apart from people like my consultant.

16 Oct 2019 06:12 in response to Hastingsmysteries

They got all my cancer, i had everything removed including my appendix, now, to make sure there are no lil bits floating  i have to have  chemo or radio thingy for a short time
People still treat you delicately, but i have been on my own for a few weeks now, i also have drove, which i can manage comfortably, must admit sleeping on side is still a tad uncomfy sometimes, i alternate between he bed and sofa, and if i overdo it i get pain.  It is nice to know the help is there tho, no matter what they inadvertently say wrong

16 Oct 2019 08:23 in response to Pooks

Ah, you must be right about nice that the help is there. I'm still at the stage of having tests to make sure the plan (op, chemo, op, herceptin) can be carried out. So haven't reached your stage of being glad of help.  

Glad they have been so thorough in your treatment.

17 Oct 2019 08:43 in response to Hastingsmysteries

I hope everything goes well for you when they sort it out, hope you are surrounded by friends to help, and i found the hospital staff to be fantatic, you will to, i am sure.  The people here are marvellous, i never expected a fun down to earth lot, i was suprised, gotta thank you all for making me smile  xxxxxx

8 Nov 2019 00:46 in response to Addybrook4

@Addybrook4 ‍ 

It seems having got many different responses from family, colleagues and friends, I’m spending more time managing other peoples emotions than my own!

That's funny, because my prognosis was very good, and I felt pretty confident about it.  But, I felt like I had to break the news gently to everyone, to spare them from going batty.  My wife is quite stoic, and she wasn't too worried about me, either.  When one of our friends asked if there was anything she could do, my wife repleid that brownies fix everything.  That week, there were some delicious brownies in the mail.  Cool

I have a coworker, who luckily I don't see too often, or for long periods of time...  who doesn't listen to anything anyone says.  He twists the conversation to his issues, and dwells on them.  Apparently, me being off work for cancer has inconvenienced him, he's told me over the phone...  and when my cancer does come up, he offers me advice about drinking water, and eating right...  or whatever rolls off his tongue.  Luckily, he mostly amuses me, and I've learned not to bother trying to actually tell him anything, because he seems to know it all, already.  Laugh