Together we will beat cancer

Donate

12 things never to say to someone who has cancer

19 Feb 2015 11:15

I came across this list of well meaning but sometimes frustrating comments which I think we can all identify with. You know your friends and family mean well but sometimes they just don’t get it!  Has this happened to you? Are there any other well meaning but frustrating things people say which you could add to the list?  Let me know what you think Happy

1. “That’s a good cancer to have.”

There are no good cancers. There are definitely some which respond better to treatment than others, and I’m allowed to observe that as the patient, but you are not.
Please don’t tell me how lucky I am. I may not be in the humour to hear that.

2. “Cancer isn’t as hard as it used to be.”

That’s funny, because it felt pretty tough this morning when I was lying on the bathroom floor weeping over a bowel movement.

3. “I’ve always wanted to shave my head.”

Losing your hair to chemo is not the same as shaving your head because you thought Natalie Portman looked cool in V for Vendettta.

4. “You look like Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta!”

No, I don’t.

5. “We didn’t think you’d be up for it.”

Don’t assume we’re not able to do things just because we have cancer. Keep inviting us to stuff. Sometimes we won’t be up to it, but sometimes we will, and we desperately need to leave the house.

6. “You’re so brave.”

We know you mean well when you say this, but we don’t feel brave. Bravery is something that happens when someone chooses to take on something scary. We don’t have a choice.

7. “Have you tried…?”

Unless you have a piece of advice so stellar that you think we literally can’t go on without it, please don’t make suggestions about our treatment. Yes, eating kiwis may be an effective way of combating constipation in your everyday life, but if the industrial-strength medical-grade laxatives an actual doctor has prescribed for me aren’t working, then adding more fruit to my diet probably won’t either.

8. “If anyone can beat this, you can.

”Because people who die as a result of cancer didn’t fight hard enough?

9. “Remember, there’s always someone worse off than you.”

So helpful.

10. “I know how you feel.”

No, you don’t.

11. “At least you’ll have loads of free time now.”

I am not on holiday. I have taken time off work because dealing with cancer is literally a full-time job.

12. “Congratulations! You’re done!”

It’s not necessarily over just because we’ve had our last scheduled bit of chemo or radiation. Reaching the end of treatment can be a really scary time, so let me tell you when I’m ready to celebrate.

...So what should you say?

“I don’t really know what to say.”

It’s OK for you to be honest about how you’re feeling. We don’t expect you to be an expert in dealing with this really tough situation.

“I’m sorry you’re going through this.”

Sometimes a simple acknowledgement that things are a bit rubbish right now really helps.

“Do you need a lift home from chemo?”

Specific offers of help are much better than general “I’m here if you need me” type statements. We’ll actually take you up on them, and they will genuinely make a difference.

“Have you seen…?”

Film and TV recommendations are invaluable for days when we can’t get off the sofa and feel like we’ve exhausted Netflix.

19 Feb 2015 12:05 in response to Moderator Sarah

"There is no need to mope around, get up and do something" that has to be one of the worst 

19 Feb 2015 12:09 in response to jessietrevor96

That's a good one! people always suggest you'll feel much better if you get up and do something but have no idea how hard that can be at times. Great suggestion!

19 Feb 2015 15:17 in response to Moderator Sarah

Sarah, thanks so much for writing these out. You have hit the nail right on the head. I printed these off to put on my fridge because I know people mean well when they make suggestions such as these, but for those of us dealing with this horrible disease, when I hear these comments, it hits right in the pit of my stomach. Only someone who has dealt with cancer really knows what it feels like.

If I can figure out how to print these on Facebook, I will, with your permission. It would help those of us with cancer, as well as giving others an opportunity to avoid saying these things.

I lost my son to suicide almost 12 years ago, and some of the comments that were made to me at that time were just atrocious. I got involved with a Provincial group and we formed a committee dealing with suicidal issues. We worked hard on that committee and all of us were touched by suicide in some aspect, but what a change we made province-wide and indeed, Canada wide. We published a book that is now used to educate people, i.e. Police, First Responders, Medical, etc. as well as survivors of suicide, on how to respond appropriately when a suicide occurs. One of the things that really stood out was that people really wanted this information; they desperately wanted to know what to say at such a critical time in a person's life. When people responded to me in a more appropriate manner, it made such a big difference in how they made me feel on the loss of my son.  Perhaps we need to educate people on how to respond to cancer sufferers too.

Thanks again for posting this, and let me know if you think it would be okay to post this on Facebook. Are there credits that should be mentioned to anyone for them?

Lorraine    

19 Feb 2015 16:35 in response to LorraineD

Hi Lorraine, so glad you liked this Happy

The original list was written by someone called Louise McSharry. You can find a link to it here  http://www.buzzfeed.com/louisemcsharry/things-not-to-say-to-someone-who-...

It's fine to share on Facebook, in fact I believe it's already going viral!

Sarah

19 Feb 2015 16:55 in response to LorraineD

I agree, we really don't need to be told that we are brave.  I didn't choose this, I don't need well meaning peope telling me to be positive, that I will beat this.  The worst was when I was told by the Macmillan nurse that the chemo I was about to have would definitely mean hair loss and friends were saying not everybody loses it!  Please don't try to be kind we are trying to be realists and have been told what to expect.  I don't want to hear about your friend/relative's experience with cancer, this is about me and we are all individuals and what happened to them may not happen to me.  Most importantly treat me like a normal person not some strange victim of disease.  I am still me!

19 Feb 2015 17:13 in response to Bexmac54

Let's face it, we're all an awkward bunch of buggers to deal with!

I personally get fed up of people who blatantly ignore the fact I have Cancer and avoid talking about anything other than the weather, but at the same time get annoyed by people who go out of their way to insert it into every sentence. Not sure which is worst - ignorance or pity lol

On the chemo/hair thing. At least two people suffered from foot in mouth syndrome with me because I didn't lose my hair during EOX chemo! I felt like I had disappointed some of them - especially the people in my chemo circle who asked "is this your first cycle" when I was going into round four, dreading the canulisation as I had chemo veins by then, facing a 4 hour infusion and feeling like death warmed up! 

My favourite remains a former colleague who saw me at a conference about a year after I was diagnosed and blurted out "I thought you were dead!". He almost died of embarrassment!

19 Feb 2015 17:16 in response to Moderator Sarah

Thank you Sarah, I will check that out, and if I can figure out how to post this stuff on Facebook, I will do it.

(I'm not Facebook savvy yet!)

Lorraine

19 Feb 2015 17:24 in response to Bexmac54

Hi Bexmac, I believe one of the reasons people say those things to us is because of their own fear about having cancer. I got kind of tired of people telling me to be "positive" and I would beat this cancer. When I reached the end of my rope on it, I said, (in as kind of a way as possible) I've never heard tell of "positive" ever curing cancer, have you? It did set them back a bit, but I bet they never said it to anyone else with cancer again.

Take care.

Lorraine

19 Feb 2015 17:49 in response to LorraineD

I got offered a vicar by my work place. Not sure how to take that one.

I don't like when people say things like "you take ages to eat" and "can you manage that" like I am a child. I guess they are only trying to help.

Some people act cold around you as well which I don't like.

19 Feb 2015 18:21 in response to LorraineD

Thanks Lorraine, I may use that one as that "positive" word is starting to grate ha ha.  It was good to have a bit of a rant!

Take care as well

Bex

19 Feb 2015 18:45 in response to Moderator Sarah

The one that shook me rigid was in a letter to me shortly after I was diagnosed.  I didn't hide anything and explicitly said to the people round me that I had advanced breast cancer which had spread to the lymph and bones.

The person signed off the letter by saying "I hope you enjoy your convalescence afterwards".  Interesting thought - maybe floating on fluffy white clouds to the sound of harp music??

19 Feb 2015 18:59 in response to Boatgirl

That really is a classic!

20 Feb 2015 11:55 in response to Bexmac54

That's a good one Bex! People always tell you about someone else they know and assume that all cancers are the same and that all treatments are the same. They think because you are having chemo you will automatically react the same way as someone else they know. People don't seem to get there are more than 200 different types of cancer and numerous combinations of drug therapy which affect people in all sorts of ways, especially when it comes to hair loss Plain

20 Feb 2015 17:18 in response to Moderator Sarah

It was weird to see this thread appear because I have had a strange week with two friends asking me if I was scared that I was going to die.  I was quite shocked when the first one came out with it, then when I was asked again by someone else I thought 'goodness I must look ill !'.  What on earth are you supposed to say to that question?  No, I'm really looking forward to it?  Moral of the story in my opinion is - if you cant say something nice, shut up! x

20 Feb 2015 18:18 in response to max56

Hi Max, good to hear you sounding spunky! I know that people really don't know what to say, or how to react when they talk to us. But, it is frustrating when they say stupid things like "are you scared that you are going to die?" I believe we all have a yellow streak down our back about death period, but our own? of course. Do they think that a diagnosis of cancer comes with a manual on how to die without being scared?

I try to be sensitive to people who can be so inappropriate about my disease, but sometimes it just seems like so much work. I really wish they would educate themselves on the mental and emotional issues, not to mention the physical challenges, that come with a diagnosis of cancer, instead of expecting me to spend what little emotional strength I have to do it for them. Having said that, I guess it happens with any serious life challenging issue that people face that cause extreme fear in people. I'm thinking of when I lost my son to suicide. I was appalled at some of the things that were said to me at that horrific time in my life. I guess it just goes with the territory. We have to teach people how to treat us at such a difficult time.

Take care of yourself Max and live your best life however you can. Don't use up your precious energy on people who just don't know any better, and won't take the time and effort to find out how to be supportive and more appropriate.

Sending lots of hugs your way.

Lorraine  

20 Feb 2015 18:24 in response to max56

It does make you wonder whether stupidity is contagious! 

21 Feb 2015 22:12 in response to LorraineD

Hi Lorraine - so good to hear from you!  How are you at the moment, fully recovered from your lung op? Have you any more imminent treatment coming up?

I was so sad to read that you lost your son 12yrs ago - that must be so very hard to cope with and I admire you for the work you have done raising awareness regarding suicide.  You have certainly faced some difficult times in your life Lorraine and my heart goes out to you.  Much love to you my friend and speak soon x

22 Feb 2015 14:04 in response to max56

Hi Max, thank you for acknowledging my loss from the suicide death of my son. It was, and still is, the most difficult period period in my life and something we never recover from; we just learn to live with it.  Parents are not supposed to bury their children ever, but a suicide adds an entirely new dimension to that.

As for my recovery from my lung surgery, I'm now doing pretty good on that front physically, but the surgeon wasn't very optimistic about a possible return of the cancer. There won't be any more surgery if it does return, so it will be some other form of treatment. Of course, the bladder cancer is ongoing. I just had another surgery earlier this month for that and now waiting for the path report to see what follow-up will be done. The saga continues.

Max, this has been, and still is, one long and arduous journey for you. You are certainly a great supporter to others on this forum. I'm so glad the many posters on here who you have supported over the years, are now giving it back. As I recall, you were likely one of the first responders when I first came on here. I am so glad I found this site as it has been a God send for me in this journey that no one would ever choose to be on. Just know that you are always in my thoughts and my prayers. I wish you well my dear friend. Be gentle to yourself.

Hugs.

Lorraine  

12 Mar 2015 22:45 in response to LorraineD

You are all right! I think i had most of those said to me, and yep the positive word was the worst, we all try our best to get through our ordeals, positive is one thing but it sort of makes those who sadly have lost their fight or those who cannot be treated seem as if they are not being positive - those who have never had cancer should just try to understand its not just an attitude illness, its a painful, frightening, depressing, debilitating time physically and emotionally for both us and our families, and it doesn't stop there, we then face yearly check ups and each visit live through hell wondering if we are going to be ok for another year. x

24 Mar 2015 23:29 in response to Space_1999

Offered a Vicar....Mr Grey by any chance?? lol What do they offer athiests I wonder? Devil

25 Mar 2015 09:52 in response to Moderator Sarah

"How lucky you were to be able to lose a lung"!

How did I not feel grateful or very lucky to have got the Cancer that necessitated this! 

31 Mar 2015 16:09 in response to Moderator Sarah

My ex mother in law feels compelled to make thoughtless comments about my hair that is growing back in.her latest is I look butch.i find it her comments very upsetting and am avoiding her at the moment.

31 Mar 2015 17:33 in response to macmillan

Know what you mean some people are really insensative.

I find that I can make jokes about my cancer and treatment like I've saved a fortune on shampoo and the hairdressers but if anyone else makes a joke I start to get upset.  I tend to cope with one whiticism but after that it can be meltdown.

I think some people think they are helping by trying to joke about these things.

31 Mar 2015 18:16 in response to Moderator Sarah

I think Cancer is such a taboo subject, i have alway found t hard to brach the subject with others in the past, have never known what to say, how to say or when. I think a lot of that was out of fear as even the word scared me. The fatct is we are all diffrent and respond to things in diffrent ways and even on diffrent days we may respond dffrently. I found Once i was diagnosed i found it eaqually as hard to talk about and apporach the subject. I felt like i was dropping a bomb into conversations to bring it up. Should cancer be spoken about more openly?  Even join in in this chat forom scared me as it seemed to make it so much more real. I was told by the same person on the same day that 1: I was so lucky to have so much time on my hands, (due to suspending my studies for my health) and 2: how come someone who had a baby this teaching block could continue with there studies yet i couldent. However even now i would still find cancer a hard conversation. 

31 Mar 2015 19:08 in response to macmillan

Yes the good thing is avoid the insensitive people and surround yourself with people who can support you.  Avoid the people with "foot in mouth disease" there are plenty of them around!!

31 Mar 2015 20:18 in response to Moderator Sarah

I have a friend who said 'at least they've caught it early,' though she didn't even ask what stage my cancer was at, I wasn't aware that T4N2 was early, (though thankfully M0)

I know people can feel awkward about what to say, but a little thinking before speaking would be helpful

31 Mar 2015 20:40 in response to Pauline2

Hi Pauline,

That one made me chuckle Happy

I was rather cruel to someone shortly after I'd been diagnosed. The conversation was going well until she asked what stage I was at. I said I was at stage 4 which triggered the question "when do you go into stage 5". I just fell about laughing - another friend explained why after I'd left the room! It's amazing what some people say when they feel awkward and stuck for words!

Cheers
Dave  

5 Apr 2015 18:01 in response to davek

Hi Dave

Sometimes you just have to laugh or you cry (or want to hit someone/something.) 

Maybe she wanted to make you a certificate for each stage. Maybe stage 5 can be when the cancer is trying to protrude out of your body a little like in Alien and stage 6 when it escapes and tries to take over everyone around you (I'm sure some people think it is contagious)

best wishes

Pauline

6 Apr 2015 00:00 in response to Pauline2

I think were all being too tough on people's thoughtless comments about our cancers. Its genuinely tough for people, they dont know what to say, but at least do try. When they say something insensitive forgive them. Before getting cancer you may have come out with exactly the same comments. The worst thing is not the insensitive comments but people avoiding you because they really dont know what to say to you or is it because they think cancer is catching.

6 Apr 2015 00:32 in response to Moderator Sarah

The most irritating of the 12 things not to say, is friends passing on well meaning magic treatment cures. Carrot juice, manuka honey, exotic extracts of jungle plants, magnetic bracelets, hypnotherapy, prayer, homeopathic medicine, keto diets. If any of these actually worked dont they think that the medical staff in charge of my treatment would be recommending them. A holiday in Kerela India - now your talking!

I suppose "you must keep positive" is a close second. Dont people think we try our hardest to keep a positive attitude. Sometimes losing it when the treatments and tiredness get the better of us.

As I said you have to forgive them, and not be horrible to them.

7 Jul 2015 15:37 in response to kimchoson

Hi all, I have read through all your posts and I too have had all the above said to me, and yes the "keep positive" one is annoying and "you might not lose your hair" which I did afte the first chemo, was told before starting chemo I would but there are those that do know better saying you might not lol.  I suppose it is right to say you have to go through it to understand but from the day of being diagnosed I still feel as if it has happened to someone else and not me, like I am looking in at myself from the outside, not making a lot of sense really.  I have finished my treatment, beginning of April, all chemo, which was absolutely gruelling and would never want to go through it again, radiotherapy on the other hand I sailed through. My hair has started to grow back and have been told today that it looks like it might be wavy, instead of straight like it was before all treatment.  I have also had one friend who came to see me once at the beginning but now makes excuses for not calling or meeting again, maybe she can't handle it I know there are some that can't.  As long as I have family and close friends who support me I can cope but I will be on tender hooks every yearly check up as well, which is understandable.  We all cope in different ways and what ever way suits us is fine

13 Jul 2015 11:43 in response to LorraineD

Lorraine I really identify with this.  Currently going through treatment & I am sick to death of people telling me to stay positive. the next person who says this to me will certainly be hear your phrase. Thank you

Monica

13 Jul 2015 14:50 in response to Moderator Sarah

I've had a lot of "you're so brave", only I think because I'm still alive. I dislike the language of war & battle.  I've never felt that there was an alien invading force to take on in a fight. I couldn;t regard my own body as an enemy & don't want it to become a battleground. Military terms are very common, doctors do it, but it's the wrong language to say to me. I'm not a brave warrior.

I've also had the "it's your fault because you smoke" line. Someone thought my thyroid was in my throat & therefore thyroid cancer was caused by smoking. I know smoking is the cause of many terrible things but blaming the patient for somthing they've done doesn't help. (I'm now officially described as an ex-smoker, so what else have I done wrong?!) .

13 Jul 2015 17:10 in response to kimchoson

@kimchosen by coincidence I had a trip to Goa (Palolem) just as I finished my chemo - even that led to some strange questions about alternative medicine.
Q. "Are you going there for Ayurvedic treatment/Yoga/meditation"
A. No it is freezing here, the chemo has left me knackered and extremely sensitive to cold. I need a ******** holiday on a tropical beach with copious amounts of beer and curry neither of which I could enjoy whilst on chemo!"

@littlebopeep & @mouse - I'm afraid I've been guilty of telling people to stay positive, partly because the lure of the dark side can lead to bad decisions 

@eciguser - so far I've not been told to "be a brave little soldier" but the patronising cr@p I've heard has been close. To paraphrase Peter Griffin - the use of military terms in civilian situations really grinds my gears! I was never in the military but I have worked in a war zone and listening to idiots in management (who have never done anything more dangerous than cross the road when the green man was flashing) trying to inspire their pen-pushing minions by telling them they need to get tough in the front line just makes me giggle and make sneering remarks about trench warfare and firing squads at dawn! 

I must go and make some green tea, sweetened with manuka honey, to wash down my Japanese seaweed on spelt bread leavened with natural yeast! 

Cheers 
Dave
PS - I read recently that dark chocolate is a great source of magnesium which helps keep the immune system vital ... yummy now THAT's a superfood I will believe in Happy

13 Jul 2015 20:54 in response to davek

Had a 'nice' comment from a 'lady' in a car park last week. Hubbie asked her very politely if she would mind closing her car door so that we could park in the roomy space next to her. He explained that we had forgotten my blue badge but I needed a bit of space to get out of the car.  When I was out of the car she said 'well you dont look very disabled to me?'. I asked if having a brain tumour, terminal cancer and a liver operation the week before qualified me as being disabled enough for her?  She retorted with some more unpleasantries.  Aren't there some wonderfully understanding people in the world!!!!!

13 Jul 2015 22:15 in response to Moderator Sarah

Surprising how many of those I've heard already and I've only been diagnosed just over 2 weeks!

The responses did make me smile!

A friend said "but how are you out shopping and mooching about?" My response was "well, what should I be doing then?" .My cancer doesn't affect my legs or the use of my debit card!

13 Jul 2015 23:32 in response to max56

@max56 - there is a space in Hell reserved for people who make sneering comments about people "not looking disabled enough" to have a blue badge.  
Our youngest son has extreme autism with SLD and (as a child) severely hyperactive (I'm talking Hussain Bolt on speed here). The snide remarks were pretty common - you can either rise above it or respond and risk making the situation worse. Sadly as a teen I was taught that retribution is the essence of self preservation and I have never been mature enough to rise above it Happy
Weirdly the most understanding people were traffic wardens - maybe they are trained to be aware that not all disabilities are visible?

14 Jul 2015 00:10 in response to davek

I am afraid I wasnt wise enough to rise above it and unsavoury words about reproduction and bovines flew out of my mouth before my brain caught up.  It didnt help the situation at all but I sure felt good! x

14 Jul 2015 08:32 in response to max56

Oh Max, it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some people are.  Whether disabled or not, it was a polite question by hubby (who must have been thrown by her onslaught)  and you gave her as good as you got - I would have too!!!

No where near as important but have had 'words' with those who park in parent and baby spots 'because it was closer!!' never giving a thought to how just a little more space to get the child out of the car in safety is important.

As to the blue badge issue my hubby had one (hated having to use it ) and was  told as he could walk he probably did not need one(in supermarket  car park).  He was a man of few words but came back with - perhaps you would like to swap your parking space for terminal cancer though I would not wish my illness on 'EVEN YOU'.  Nonetheless hubby sat in the car whilst I shopped and was understandably upset.  This got worse when I came across the same guy inside the supermarket who then asked me if my husband had moved his car (he was rightly  parked in disabled parking!)  as someone 'more disabled would appreciate it!!!  I told this person that having terminal cancer entitled him to disabled parking when available and he did not need selfish  (sorry for next word) a------------'s  making his already vulnerable world even smaller.  It still upsets me when I think about it.

Sending big hugs to those who really deserve them.xxxxJules

8 Apr 2016 07:28 in response to Moderator Sarah

Hi All ...... well, I have a little story about what one of my husband's friends said to him this week.  He and his partner owned a dog and unfortunately 2wks ago it collapsed - after tests they were told the dog had leukemia and it sadly passed away five days later.  We knew he was extremely fond of his dog and rang him several times, Andy visited and was generally very supportive - which his friend has rarely been to him/me, although I understand fully that not everyone finds that easy.

He must have been thinking about his lack of support because he said to Andy this week - thanks so much for all you have done to help this last few weeks - it has been an awful time - and got me thinking that I had not really realised what you and Max had been going through with her cancer and incurable diagnosis. I understand now.  Andy very politely pointed out that losing your "soulmate" of 40yrs who has given you two beautiful children, always worked and been a good Mum and Wife is maybe a little different than losing the family pet.  Our income has gone as have savings, Andy cannot work due to caring for me etc etc - and all the other things that we all know go along with a cancer diagnosis and terminal prognosis.  I must be very weird because it really made me laugh (not the dogs death obviously) but just that someone really is so genuinely thinking that way.  Bless him!

Take care everyone x

8 Apr 2016 08:03 in response to max56

Hi Max

Weird is good if it keeps you smiling/laughing my virtual friend and great that you are able to share it with us on the forum too.  My hubby often said that many of his 'friends' (I would have added his siblingsWink) had 'no understanding' of the feelings of others as they only thought about how it would affect them.  I think this is why he chose not to talk about how he really felt with them - somewhat sad but true nonetheless.

Sending virtual hugs to you, Andy and children.  Jules xx

8 Apr 2016 08:41 in response to jules54

Hi Jules ......... after a  very awful month of in and out of hospital with various problems, as of Monday I finally felt as though it was getting back to normal.  I started to catch up on things that needed doing - reluctant to asking Andy for help as he has been so worried and busy with me.  I took down the long heavy lounge curtains to wash (after far too long I must add).  One curtain went in the machine and it was so heavy when I tried to remove it that I pulled all my tum muscles , or something liver related, and am now in agony again - I feel so angry with myself for being so stubborn and silly!

I looked on beautiful pictures this morning Jules and your garden is beautiful - gardening is my favourite hobby and I so miss doing it - the garden is normally full of pots but I just havent been well enough to do it for around a year now.  What a good idea to fill your bird bath with flowers - I have one exactly the same type as you and may fill that at least.  I would love to fill the garden with bulbs for all to remember me but sadly I doubt I will reach the end of the year when spring bulbs are planted.  Who knows though, stranger things have happened!  Can you put them in any time of the year if I decided to do just one pot a week??????

So sorry to hear about your ceiling and hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.  Much love Jules - also to your children and the little ones! Are they doing Race for Life again this year?  If so, please send me a link to the sponsor page.  xxxx

8 Apr 2016 09:41 in response to max56

Hi Max

Have sent you an e-mail with the link and a bit of a chatty rambleLaugh.  Look after yourself. Jules x

8 Apr 2016 13:00 in response to Moderator Sarah

everyone says that thyroid cancer is the good one. Even if I will be on therapy forever and even if I went through very bad years, before and after the diagnosis. Yes, thanks God, I have several years ahead but nobody (far from here) can understand how you feel when you are 27 and you get cancer just 2 months after your wedding. My world was crumbling all around me! I am truly sorry for those have worst diagnosis and I understand what others want to say with "good cancer" but the word cancer is scary and dangerous, unfortunately, no matter the kind!

And I have a new entry: "Do you practice sports with regularity? On tv, one says it is a good way to prevent it!" Argh!! 

20 Apr 2016 04:28 in response to Bexmac54

Hi Lorraine . I just joined the group. Omg the exact same comments from my friends. I really like the " I am still me bit" ! ! I just want normality for as long as possible. 

20 Apr 2016 13:13 in response to Moderator Sarah

Thank you Sarah, the list made me smile.  I do not have cancer my dad has stage 4 lung cancer diagnosed in February.  I'm really finding it difficult to cope with and I'm so scared.  But people also say stupid things to me (the relative of someone who has cancer) like me saying I don't want my dad to die - "but Dawn we are all going to die" yes but not when my dads in his 60"s.                               

Or the way my partner refers everything back to his grandad who was in his 90's when he died

Argh!! Brings me back to when my dog died last year he was only 2.5 yrs old. And all I kept getting " he's in a better place now! Or things happen for a reason

20 Apr 2016 13:57 in response to Buffbuff1

I think t​hat people feel they need to say something to show they care but don't really know what to say. Pr cancer I was probably just as guilty of coming out with these comments but now I know better.

​The best comment I heard was " we don't come with a use by date none of us know when our time is up" but then added " if we did we wouldn't be the person we are"

20 Apr 2016 18:04 in response to Moderator Sarah

I was glad to see this thread resurface again as I've just come up with another challenge and would like some feedback on how to deal with it in a sensitive manner. My neice, (who is a mature person in her mid-fifties) has contacted me with an offer??  She has just bought a series of 8 videos produced by "The Truth About Cancer" which gives all kinds of ways to prevent/ beat cancer without going through all the medical stuff that we go through. She wants me to take the time to view these videos so I can learn how to treat my cancer without going through treatments that have such awful side effects. I know she means well, but I do not want to waste my time watching these 8 videos. If I have time to sit and do nothing, (which I don't have very often because of medical apts., tratments. etc.) I would much rather watch a good movie, or read a good book! How do I tell her "no, I do not want to do this" without causing a riff with her. I have ticked off a few people (relatives) who badgered me about alternative methods of treating cancer, planning for when I will need full-time personal care, (I'm not there yet) and I'm just totally fed up with it all. My energy is almost depleted from managing my disease, along with trying to do some of the normal stuff in my life that I enjoy and can still do; I'm not going to waste my time on placating someone else's need for whatever it they feel the need to do. What a dilemna!! Help me out here please!

All suggestions will be given careful consideration. LOL

Lorraine 

20 Apr 2016 18:26 in response to LorraineD

Hi Lorraine

Faced with a similar 'problem' when hubby was diagnosed with terminal cancer though with books rather than videos, especially those aimed at diets which will aid survival.  Like you did not want to upset anyone so in the first instance I did not tell hubby (not relevant in your current situation) and then I took them politely just as your have and said 'thank you very much for thinking of us and would you like them back when we no longer need them' (the reply was ' I don't need them so pass them on when read'y!!).  Perhaps a comment along the lines of how thoughtful of you I will 'dip into them' when I have a moment to spare as I really am making the most of my time just now.  Is there any rush to return them?'    Whatever you decide hope it goes okay and keep on enjoying life in your own way. Take care  Jules xx