Tough 10 Event Rules
Updated 11 November 2016
These rules (“the Rules”) apply to the Tough 10 events (the “Events” and each an "Event") and by registering for an Event you agree to comply with them and confirm that you satisfy the age requirements set out below. Please check this page from time to time, as we may occasionally amend the Rules and any changes will be binding on all participants and supporters.
If you have any questions, please contact our helpline on 0300 123 1022* and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
The Events are organised by Cancer Research UK Trading Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, registered office: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD, registered company number: 4355631), a trading company which Gift Aids its taxable profits to Cancer Research UK (a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103)).
Where reference is made to “CRUK” in these Rules, it means both Cancer Research UK and Cancer Research UK Trading Limited.
1. Only participants aged 16 or over on the day of the relevant Event are eligible to take part in that Event, as the Events are not suitable for people younger than this. However, participants aged 16 to 17 (inclusive) on the day of the Event must be accompanied by another registered participant aged 18 or over, having obtained their parent or legal guardian’s permission if the accompanying adult is not their parent or legal guardian.
2. Participants may be required to provide proof of age on the day of the relevant Event. We reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event, with no refund, to any participant who is under age, or is unable to provide proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
3. Only registered participants who have paid the entry fee are eligible to take part in the Events.
4. Event entry will close if and when maximum participant capacity is reached.
5. Please note that we are unable to accept group entries for the Events.
1. A full entry fee of £25 per participant per Event shall apply, although we may offer discounts or promotional offers from time to time.
2. Given the limited number of spaces for the Events, entry fees are non-refundable unless we change an Event venue, time and/or date in a material way and you are no longer able to attend the relevant Event, or if we cancel that Event altogether. We ask that you let us know as soon as possible if you need or want to withdraw from your Event for any reason.
3. Entry places in the Events are personal to participants and you may not transfer your place to anyone else, as it may cause problems of identification in the event that medical assistance is required during an Event.
4. Your place at an Event will not be confirmed until your payment has been received and you have received an email from us acknowledging that a place has been reserved for you at that Event.
1. Please note that due to the nature of the Events, the course is not suitable for wheelchairs or mobility scooters. The health and safety of our participants is very important to us and we cannot guarantee that each type of wheelchair or mobility scooter will be able to manoeuvre Event routes.
Changes and Last Minute Arrangements
1. If you arrive after the designated start time you must abide by the instructions and decisions of the Event Manager and/or the Event officials. It is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part.
2. We reserve the right to reduce or alter Event courses to accommodate any unexpected complications that may have an impact on Event officials, participants and/or spectators. No refunds will be due in these circumstances although we will try to notify participants in advance of any material changes where we are able to do so.
1. All participants and supporters must abide by the Rules and any rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the relevant Event by police and/or Event officials.
2. We respectfully ask that all participants and supporters do not use aggressive or abusive language towards our organisers, marshals, officials and volunteers. You should also avoid behaving in a way which may cause injury or harm to other participants and/or spectators, or which may cause offence or damage the reputation of CRUK.
3. Cancer Research UK opposes the promotion and use of tobacco in all its forms. All participants and supporters are therefore required to refrain from smoking tobacco products or e-cigarettes at the Events.
4. We respectfully ask that all participants and supporters use the litter and recycling facilities available within the venues and around the course. Please do not drop litter, but carry it with you until you can dispose of it responsibly.
5. Due to the nature of the Events participants cannot take part with their dogs (or any other pet).
6. We reserve the right to ask participants and supporters to leave an Event if they do not adhere to these Rules, and no refunds shall be given in these circumstances.
Health and Safety and Medical
1. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are wearing appropriate attire (including footwear) when taking part in an Event, taking into account the nature of the Event, the weather forecast and the terrain involved.
2. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are sufficiently fit and healthy to take part in an Event. Anyone unsure of their physical ability to take part in an Event must therefore seek medical advice from a General Practitioner prior to that Event. It is not advisable for pregnant women to participate in the Events.
3. Notwithstanding rule 2 above, we reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event in our absolute discretion, with no refund provided, if for whatever reason we consider a person unfit to take part. We may also ask you to withdraw during an Event if we have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you choose to continue you do so with the understanding that you are no longer considered a participant of that Event and that you absolve us of all and any responsibility, and progress entirely at your own risk.
4. You must write the following on the reverse of your official “Tough 10” number, which must be worn on the front of shirts during your Event:
- your name
- details of any health problems or current medication
- the name and number of a person to contact in case of an emergency
- any other information you consider could be relevant in the event of a medical emergency
To help us save money, please also remember to bring your safety pins!
5. We take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a stringent risk assessment process in place for the Events which aims to minimise (where possible) the risk to everyone taking part. However, the nature of the Event means that participants will moving over rough terrain and/or natural obstacles and hazards (including shallow rivers/streams), and it may not always be possible to bypass or avoid these obstacles and/or hazards. By taking part in an Event, you acknowledge that you do so at your own risk. There may also be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us before agreeing to take part in an Event.
6. By taking part in an Event, you consent to receiving medical treatment administered by medically qualified personnel during that Event if required in any circumstances where you are unconscious or otherwise incapable of making a decision regarding medical treatment.
Sponsorship Money and Donations
1. Any monies raised in connection with the Event are held on trust for Cancer Research UK, and therefore all participants have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received in connection with the Event are paid to Cancer Research UK, and we ask that you do this as soon as possible after the Event. Money pledged via online fundraising pages is collected automatically. Other ways to pay in sponsorship monies/donations are as follows:
- Call the relevant telephone number given at the top of these Rules and provide credit or debit card details to make a payment over the phone
- Send cheques made payable to "Cancer Research UK" to:
PO Box 1561
stating “Tough 10” and your entry number on the reverse.
2. We regret that sponsorship money cannot be accepted on the day of the Event as we do not have the suitable cash handling facilities to fulfil this process.
3. Please ensure that all donation and/or sponsorship forms are returned to us to enable Cancer Research UK to claim Gift Aid where possible.
Use of Personal Data
1. By providing personal data when you register for an Event, you confirm that you consent to such data being used by us for the purposes of organising, staging and administering the Event. In the case of an emergency we may also pass personal details provided (either when registering for the Event or on the reverse of your Event number) to the emergency services or health care professionals, and also use them for the purposes of contacting your emergency contact.
2. First aid facilities will be provided at each Event. Participants consent to their details (which will be obtained by medical providers if you are treated by them at the Event) being passed to us, but we shall only use these details for administration and health and safety purposes and to fulfil our legal obligations (including those under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995). All medical details will be held on the CRUK Accident Database.
3. Your personal information may also be used for the purposes of sending communications to you where you have confirmed that you would like to receive further information about the charity’s work when registering for an Event.
4. All personal data held by us will be handled in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with CRUK’s privacy statement which can be found here.
Filming and Photography at the Events
1. By taking part in or attending an Event, all participants and spectators agree that they are happy for their names and any video footage, stills or photographs taken during that Event by CRUK (and our service providers and agents) to be used by CRUK to publicise the Event and for commercial and/or fundraising purposes including but not limited to television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, personalised direct mail and other documents that may be made available to the public.
2. If participants do not wish for their photograph to be taken or for their photo is to be made available as described above, please tell the photographer on the day.
1. Use of the Tough 10 website is subject to our website terms and conditions.
2. All participants and spectators attend and enter the Events entirely at their own risk. We shall not be liable for any injury or loss to persons or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in or attendance at the Events, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
* Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Please note that calls to our helpline may be monitored or recorded to allow us to maintain our standards of customer service.