The Extra Mile event rules
These rules (“the Rules”) apply to the [Extra Mile] event (the “Event”) unless otherwise stated, and by registering for the Event you agree to comply with them and confirm that you satisfy the age requirements set out below. Please check this page from time to time, as we may occasionally amend the Rules and any changes will be binding on all participants and supporters.
If you have any questions, please contact us on 020 3469 5536 and we will be happy to help you.
The Event is organised by Cancer Research UK Trading Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, registered office: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD, registered company number: 4355631), a trading company which Gift Aids its taxable profits to Cancer Research UK (a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103)).
Where reference is made to “CRUK” in these Rules, it means both Cancer Research UK and Cancer Research UK Trading Limited.
1. Only participants aged 18 or over on the day of the Event are eligible to take part in the Event. Participants may be required to provide proof of age on the day of the Event. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event, to any participant who is under age, or is unable to provide proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
2. We may accept entries to the Event on the day, but only where we are satisfied that it is safe to do so, given that the Event has an allocated capacity and the contact details for all participants must be held in advance in the case of an emergency.
1. Entry places in the Event are personal to participants and you may not transfer your place to anyone else, as it may cause problems of identification in the event that medical assistance is required during the Event, for example.
2. Your place in the Event will not be confirmed until you have received an email from us acknowledging that a place has been reserved for you.
Changes and Last Minute Arrangements
1. If you arrive after the designated Event start time you must abide by the instructions and decisions of the Event Manager and/or the Event officials. It is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part.
2. We reserve the right to reduce or alter the Event course to accommodate any unexpected complications that may have an impact on Event officials, participants, volunteers and/or spectators. We will try to notify participants in advance of any material changes where we are able to do so.
1. All participants and supporters must abide by the Rules and any rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event by police and/or Event officials.
2. We respectfully ask that all participants and supporters do not use aggressive or abusive language towards our organisers, marshals, officials and volunteers. You should also avoid behaving in a way which may cause injury or harm to other participants and/or spectators, or which may cause offence or damage the reputation of CRUK.
3. CRUK opposes the promotion and use of tobacco in all its forms. All participants and supporters are therefore required to refrain from smoking tobacco products or e-cigarettes at the Event.
4. We respectfully ask that all participants and supporters use the litter and recycling facilities available within the venues and around the course. Please do not drop litter, but carry it with you until you can dispose of it responsibly.
5. We reserve the right to ask participants and supporters to leave an Event if they do not adhere to these Rules.
Health and Safety and Medical
1. The Event is a non-competitive, non UK Athletics (UKA) endorsed run.
2. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are wearing appropriate attire (including footwear) when taking part in an Event, taking into account the nature of the Event, the weather forecast and the terrain involved.
3. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are sufficiently fit and healthy to take part in the Event. Anyone unsure of their physical ability to take part in the Event must therefore seek medical advice from a General Practitioner prior to the Event. It is recommended that pregnant women should consult their General Practitioner before taking part in the Event.
4. Notwithstanding rule 4 above, we reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event in our absolute discretion, if for whatever reason we consider a person unfit to take part. We may also ask you to withdraw during the Event if we have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you choose to continue you do so with the understanding that you are no longer considered a participant of the Event and that you absolve us of all and any responsibility, and progress entirely at your own risk.
5. You must write the following on the reverse of your official the [Extra Mile] number, which must be worn on the front of shirts during the Event:
- your name
- details of any health problems or current medication
- the name and number of a person to contact in case of an emergency
- any other information you consider could be relevant in the event of a medical emergency
Please also remember to bring your safety pins!
6. We take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a stringent risk assessment process in place for the Event which aims to minimise or eliminate the risk to everyone taking part. By taking part in the Event, you acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us before agreeing to take part in the Event.
7. By taking part in the Event, you consent to receiving medical treatment administered by medically qualified personnel during the Event if required in any circumstances where you are unconscious or otherwise incapable of making a decision regarding medical treatment.
Sponsorship Money and Donations
1. There is no entry fee to register for the Event. However, we do ask that each participant seeks to raise as much sponsorship money as possible for Cancer Research UK in connection with their participation in the Event, with a fundraising target of £50 per person.
2. Any monies raised in connection with the Event are held on trust for Cancer Research UK, and therefore you have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received in connection with an Event are paid to the charity. We ask that you do this as soon as possible after your Event.
3. Please note that we are unable to accept your sponsorship money on the day of the Event as Cancer Research UK does not have the suitable cash handling facilities to fulfil this process.
4. Please ensure that all donation and/or sponsorship forms are returned to us to enable Cancer Research UK to claim Gift Aid where possible.
Use of Personal Data
1. By providing personal data when you register for the Event, you confirm that you consent to such data being used by us for the purposes of organising, staging and administering the Event. In the case of an emergency we may also pass personal details provided (either when registering for the Event or on the reverse of your Event number) to the emergency services or health care professionals, and also use them for the purposes of contacting your emergency contact.
2. First aid facilities will be provided at the Event. Participants consent to their details (which will be obtained by medical providers if you are treated by them at the Event) being passed to us, but we shall only use these details for administration and health and safety purposes and to fulfil our legal obligations (including those under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995). All medical details will be held on the CRUK Accident Database.
3. Your personal information may also be used for the purposes of sending communications to you where you have confirmed that you would like to receive further information about the charity’s work when registering for the Event.
4. All personal data held by us will be handled in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with CRUK’s privacy statement which can be found here.
Filming and Photography at the Event
1. By taking part in or attending an Event, all participants, volunteers and spectators agree that they are happy for their names and any video footage, stills or photographs taken during that Event by CRUK (and our service providers and agents) to be used by CRUK to publicise the Event and for commercial and/or fundraising purposes including but not limited to television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, personalised direct mail and other documents that may be made available to the public.
1. Use of the [Extra Mile] website is subject to our website terms and conditions.
2. All participants and spectators attend and enter the Event entirely at their own risk. We shall not be liable for any injury or loss to persons or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in or attendance at an Event, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.