Free Will Service
How the Free Will Service works
Your use of our Free Will Service is governed by the following Terms and Conditions.
- You must be aged 55 or over to use the Service.
- For mirror Wills only one person needs to be 55 or over.
- There is no obligation on users of the Service to leave a gift to Cancer Research UK.
- You must complete, sign and date the Free Will Service form.
- You must allow your solicitor to share information on any charitable gift you intend to leave to Cancer Research UK, with Cancer Research UK.
- Your solicitor must provide us with this information and the corresponding invoice.
- Users of the service are limited to 3 free Will writing consultations under this scheme. This includes new Wills and changes to existing Wills.
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to withdraw the Free Will Service.
- We understand that you may want your gift to go towards research into a certain type of cancer or to provide support in your local area. Get in touch with the team on 020 3469 8797 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) for more information on restricting your gift.
Cancer Research UK has agreed to pay a fixed sum to the participating solicitor to write a simple Will for you. A simple Will is a legal document that details the wishes of the testator (the person writing the Will) regarding asset distribution upon the testator's death. Personal estate circumstances may deem a more complex Will suited to your circumstances. Your solicitor will advise you or you can visit www.gov.uk/make-will for information on making a Will.
If the costs of writing your Will exceed this fixed sum you are responsible for the additional amount. When giving instructions to your solicitor you should check that the cost of the Will is covered by the Free Will Service.
You will be primarily liable to pay your solicitor’s costs until these conditions have been met.
Please note your solicitor alone, not Cancer Research UK, has control of and is responsible for preparing your Will.
The solicitors who participate on the Free Will Service are registered and regulated by the *Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). They are independent of CRUK and participating in the Free Will Service does not imply a recommendation by CRUK.
If you would like to use our Free Will Service with a solicitor’s firm not currently offering the Service, please ask them to call us on 020 3469 8797 so that we can provide them with the necessary information.
*SRA registration may not apply to other Will writing products such as online or telephone Will writing. Ask the Free Will Service team on the contact information above for more details.
Cancer Research UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SCO041666) and the Isle of Man (1103). Registered as a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales (4325234) and the Isle of Man (5713F). Registered address: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London, EC1V 4AD.
If you have any questions about Cancer Research UK, about how your legacy might make a difference or about any aspect of using the Free Will Service, including any feedback, please call 020 3469 8797 (Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm) or email FWSadmin@cancer.org.uk.