Relay for Life Wiltshire - Survivorship Chair
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is a year-round team fundraising challenge bringing communities together to beat cancer.
Teams of friends and family fundraise for life-saving cancer research, then join a 24-hour celebration showing that together we are stronger than cancer.
Survivors of cancer are the guests of honour at Relay For Life. We are looking for someone to make sure these heroes are honoured. This is a unique and empowering opportunity which highlights the power of research and reminds us of the importance of our part in Relay.
What will you be doing?
- Researching existing local networks and working with teams to invite cancer survivors toattend the Relay as guests of honour
- Creating a local network of cancer survivors and building awareness of Cancer Research UK’s activity, the Cancer Information Service and the Relay event itself
- Regular communication with the survivors in the lead up to the event
- Planning and coordinating activities for cancer survivors at the event, in particular the opening lap of honour and the survivor’s reception
- Encourage survivors to invite a caregiver (someone who has looked after them, held their hand or been a friend during their illness) to join the celebrations
- Maintaining relationships post Relay, including recognising and encouraging survivors to continue their support of Relay For Life and Cancer Research UK
The type of person we are looking for
We are looking for a capable and compassionate individual who can inspire others. You will create a network amongst the survivors in your community and create opportunities for them to meet throughout the year and on the day of Relay. You will have a positive approach and be comfortable approaching groups and individuals to explain Relay and how to get involved. A forward thinker who is both adaptive and reactive.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow team members.
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet local like-minded people who passionate to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your relationship, leadership and event management skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, inspiring and community driven event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to complete our online training modules using the Learn for Life platform. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life meetings. These will most likely be monthly, as the Relay gets closer, these may become weekly with responsibility intensifying as the Relay draws closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other Relay group members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. meetings, networking etc.
Please fill in our online form. If you have any questions, please contact your Local Fundraising Manager, Lucy Walker on Lucy.Walker@cancer.org.uk or 07733 225563..
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.