Relay for Life Wiltshire - Candle of Hope Chair
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is a year-round team fundraising challenge bringing communities together to beat cancer.
Teams of friends and family fundraise for life-saving cancer research, then join a 24-hour celebration showing that together we are stronger than cancer.
We are on the lookout for a warm and compassionate individual who is capable of planning and leading the Candle of Hope Ceremony; a dedication in celebration of a loved one who currently has cancer or in remembrance of someone who has died from cancer.
This is a unique and rewarding volunteer opportunity which reminds us of the importance of our part in Relay.
What will you be doing?
- Organising and developing engaging and creative content for the Candle of Hope ceremony. This could include inspirational poetry, emotive songs or motivational speakers
- Leading a team of volunteers to help you plan and coordinate activity prior to and on the day of the Relay
- Maintaining an accurate record of each candle dedicated and all donations received
The type of person we are looking for:
Are you someone who is self-motivated and creative, and can think outside the box? You will have a positive yet sensitive approach and the ability to build close relationships with fellow group members to create a memorable experience for all involved.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to locate the venue and facilities
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet local like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a fun,inspiring and community driven event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to complete our online training modules using the Learn for Life platform. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life meetings. These will most likely be monthly, as the Relay gets closer, these may become weekly with responsibility intensifying as the Relay draws closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other committee members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. venue site visits, committee meetings etc.
Please fill in our online form. If you have any questions, please contact your Local Fundraising Manager, Lucy Walker on Lucy.Walker@cancer.org.uk or 07733 225563.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.