Relay For Life Swindon - Team Chair
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is an overnight community event that celebrates cancer survivors, remembers those lost and rallies everyone to fight back so we can bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Each Relay is a community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’. For more information please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQvmF8fkAAM
There would be no Relay For Life without our teams who come together at Relay to celebrate their fundraising and take part in the overnight event. Your networking and engagement skills and the relationships you build with Team Captains will ensure that Relay For Life is successful year after year. If you’ve got what it takes to inspire others to take on the Relay challenge in Swindon, the Team Chair role is for you.
What will you be doing?
- Coordinating all recruitment activity to ensure your Relay meets its team target
- Building and nurturing relationships with Relay teams pre and post event to ensure participants have a fulfilling experience and return year on year
- Working closely with other lead Chairs to plan and coordinate activities for teams on the day
- Regular communication with all registered teams
The type of person we are looking for
We are looking for Mr or Ms Motivator! Someone who knows how to move things forward. Are you enthusiastic and self motivated, someone who can inspire others to get involved? You will have a positive approach and be comfortable speaking in public. You will be resourceful and imaginative in where and how you recruit teams and have excellent organisational skills.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events and team recruitment
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to attend an initial training/induction day. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay, but we want to get started as soon as possible to make Relay For Life Swindon as big and brilliant as possible. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life Committee meetings, these will most likely be monthly and then weekly as the Relay gets closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other committee members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. team recruitment, meetings etc.
Apply by completing our short online application form and your Local Fundraising Manager – Lucy Walker – will contact you to tell you more about our Relays and find out more about your skills, experience and motivations.
If you have any questions, please contact Lucy Walker:
Lucy.firstname.lastname@example.org / 07733 225 563
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.