Relay For Life Stockport - Promotions Volunteer
Apply right now!
Why we need you:
Cancer Research UK is seeking committed individuals to take on the exciting role of marketing and promoting a Relay For Life event in your local area.
Cancer Research UK Relay For Life is a celebration of the community’s fight against cancer as teams fundraise in the months leading up to the event. Each Relay is an overnight, community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’. Relay For Life has something for everyone and helps us all celebrate life, remember those we have lost to cancer and fight back by supporting Cancer Research UK's vital work. It’s a community experience to be proud of and the day itself has a brilliant carnival atmosphere.
What will I be doing?
- Supporting the Event Chair to design and implement a marketing strategy
- Designing and organising innovative promotional activities to advertise the event wherever possible
- Building relationships with local businesses, groups and organisations to ask for their help in acquiring new teams and displaying/distributing promotional materials for the Relay event
- Looking for opportunities to promote in the press, on the radio and on the web and supporting press activity in conjunction with the Event Chair and Media Volunteer
- Ensuring that all marketing activity is in line with Cancer Research UK brand guidelines
- Attending committee meetings as and when necessary
What skills do I need?
We are looking for someone with a highly orgnaised approach and a good understanding of marketing and promotions. You are excellent at building relationships within the community, e.g. with local businesses and journalists and have the ability to work with other committee members and Cancer Research UK.
How much time do I need to commit?
Your role will probably start about 6-12 months prior to the Relay. Ideally you would be able to commit to a minimum of 5-7 hours a week in the first 4 months of activity as well as attend occasional Relay Committee meetings (these are usually monthly).
What support will I be given?
- Ongoing support and guidance from the other Relay For Life Committee Members
- Advice on fundraising ideas and how to get involved with local fundraising opportunities from a Cancer Research UK staff member
- Various leaflets, posters and other promotional materials at your disposal
- The opportunity to attend and take part in a fantastic 24 hour Relay For Life event!
What benefits can I expect?
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain hands-on marketing, promotions and PR experience while making a real difference in the fight against cancer. The Relay is a great way to meet and make friends with people in your local community and you will be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event.
Where will I be based?
Much of the work can be completed from home, although you’ll need to get out and about to attend committee meetings and promote your Relay event in the local area.
Please apply before Tuesday 30th August 2016 by completing our short online application form.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.