Relay For Life Event Chair - Nottingham
Why we need you:
The Relay For Life event is the highlight of the community's calendar - it's an opportunity for everyone to unite and help beat cancer. By leading a Cancer Research UK Relay For Life Committee you will help to increase cancer awareness within your community and raise significant funds for Cancer Research UK's pioneering life-saving work.
We are currently looking to recruit a highly motivated volunteer who’s interested in helping to organise this fantastic 24 hour local community event which has been held in Nottingham for the past 10 years. We already have an experienced committee in place but are looking for the right volunteer with the right skills, motivation and commitment to support and oversee the delivery of the Nottingham Relay For Life in 2016.
What skills do you need?
Using your excellent organisation and leadership skills, you will be confident at chairing the Relay committee meeting and delegating tasks to your fellow committee members. You will be a confident public speaker with excellent diplomacy skills. You will have a 'can do' attitude and be able to inspire others to work hard in their roles.
What will you be doing?
- Recruit, motivate and coordinate volunteers to join you on the Relay Committee in a variety of roles.
- Organise and chair committee meetings.
- Take responsibility for the delivery of all key Relay 'Standards' at the event.
- Act as the Relay event spokesperson.
- Plan and organise the Opening and Closing Ceremony.
- Communicate regularly with your Cancer Research UK staff partner to set and agree targets.
What support will we give you?
Full training in how to organise a Relay For Life event will be provided. You will also be supported by a member of Cancer Research UK staff who will keep in regular contact with you to make sure you have all the information you need. They will help you set goals and find resources for your event.
What benefits do you get?
- You will play a major part in uniting your community against cancer.
- Organising your own Relay for Life will develop new and existing skills.
- The money raised will go towards Cancer Research UK's life saving work.
- The Relay itself is fun and a great way to meet people and have a positive impact on your local community.
- Being part of an incredibly inspiring and emotional event - there is nothing like a Relay event.
Where will you be based?
Much of the preparatory work involved with Relay can be completed from home, although attending meetings and recruitment/promotional activity will require you to be out in the community.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.