Relay for Life Event Chair - Leicester
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is a year-round team fundraising challenge bringing communities together to beat cancer.
Teams of friends and family fundraise for life-saving cancer research, then join a 24-hour celebration showing that together we are stronger than cancer.
Are you the leader of the pack and a good decision maker? Someone who can pro-actively think outside the box? If you thrive on the excitement of bringing a team together to deliver something truly inspiring then the Relay For Life Event Chair role could be for you.
What will you be doing?
- Recruiting, motivating and coordinating key volunteers to collaborate with you on the Relay committee in a variety of roles.
- Organising and chairing team meetings and overseeing the progress of other team members
- Taking responsibility for the delivery of all key Relay standards at the event
- Acting as a Cancer Research UK representative for your local community and a local Relay event spokesperson, being available for media interviews and presentations
- Planning and organising the opening and closing ceremony
- Communicating regularly with your Cancer Research UK contact to set and agree targets and to discuss progress and issues that arise
The type of person we are looking for:
Would you call yourself a ‘doer’, someone who knows how to look after their team and move things forward? Are you self motivated and enthusiastic, someone who thrives on inspiring others to get involved? Do you have a positive approach and are comfortable speaking in public? Both in quiet and busy times are you resourceful and have excellent organisational skills?
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet local like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Help raise the profile of Cancer Research UK in your local area
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to complete our online training modules using the Learn for Life platform. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life meetings. These will most likely be monthly, as the Relay gets closer, these may become weekly with responsibility intensifying as the Relay draws closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other Relay group members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. meetings, networking etc, along with your regular team meetings
Register your interest and your Local Fundraising Manager will contact you to tell you more about our Relays and find out more about your skills, experience and motivations.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.