Relay For Life Event Chair - Great Yarmouth
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is an overnight community event that celebrates cancer survivors, remembers those lost and rallies everyone to fight back so we can bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Each Relay is a community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’.
Are you the leader of the pack? Someone who can think outside of the box? If you thrive on the excitement of bringing a team together to deliver something truly inspiring then the Relay For Life Event Chair role could be for you.
What will you be doing?
- Recruiting, motivating and coordinating key volunteers to work with you on the Relay committee in a variety of roles.
- Organising and chairing committee meetings and overseeing the progress of other committee members
- Taking responsibility for the delivery of all key Relay standards at the event
- Acting as the Relay event spokesperson, being available for media interviews and presentations
- Planning and organising the opening and closing ceremony
- Communicating regularly with your Cancer Research UK lead contact to set and agree targets and to discuss progress and any issues that arise
The type of person we are looking for
Are you a ‘doer’, someone who knows how to look after their team and move things forward? Are you self motivated and enthusiastic, someone who thrives on inspiring others to get involved? Do you have a positive approach and are comfortable speaking in public? You will be resourceful and have excellent organisational skills.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to attend an initial training/induction day. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life Committee meetings, these will most likely be monthly and then weekly as the Relay gets closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other committee members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. meetings, networking etc.
Register your interest and your Local Fundraising Manager will contact you to tell you more about our Relays and find out more about your skills, experience and motivations.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.