Regional Events Marketing Internship (North West Region)
We are looking for a committed, enthusiastic and enterprising self-starter with an interest in marketing and PR, to become a valued intern in our Race for Life Events team.
What will I be doing?
- Researching new opportunities and ideas to promote local Race for Life events both on the ground in high footfall areas and online.
- Booking in and delivering promotions across the region at a variety of venues, including local events, markets and corporate businesses.
- Maximising PR opportunities with local supporters, regional press and radio.
- Creating and scheduling content for your region’s Twitter account.
- Building relationships with local businesses and community groups, and providing them with marketing materials.
- Distributing marketing materials (flyers, posters, venue banners) in highfootfall areas as part of targeted activity in your region.
- Providing administrative support to your Area Marketing Manager, including logging promotional activity.
- The option to support Race for Life events on the day.
- Coordinating and managing volunteers at promotions.
What skills will I gain?
- Interpersonal skills by engaging the local community and businesses in supporting our Race for Life events.
- Relationship management skills in coordinating volunteers at promotions.
- Influencing and negotiation skills through face to face engagement with our audience to encourage buy in and registrations for our Race for Life events.
- Project management skills by taking ownership of specific marketing and PR projects.
- The ability to work autonomously, by working independently from home as well as on site across your region.
What skills do I need?
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to be a good team player.
- The ability to use your initiative and maintain motivation when working independently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Enthusiastic, with the ability to proactively seek new opportunities.
- Problem solving skills.
What support will I get?
- An induction day in London or Manchester, providing you with an overview of the work of Cancer Research UK and how your role fits into the organisation.
- CV and job application support from your manager, ensuring it’s tailored to your desired career path.
- The chance to build a support network of other interns volunteering in your local area.
Why we need you
Cancer Research UK’s Regional Events Marketing Internship is a fantastic opportunity for you to play a part in the successful promotion of our Race for Life events. Volunteering alongside our Area Marketing Managers, you’ll galvanise support for Race for Life in your local area, creating new and interesting marketing pieces, promotional opportunities and media coverage, both in the lead up to and during events. Joining other local volunteers you will help ensure promotional events are delivered successfully.
This role would suit an out-going and approachable person who is interested in Events Marketing.
There are over 200 cancers and we won’t give up until we find cures for them all. And that is why we’re looking for Regional Events Marketing interns to join us in beating cancer sooner.
How much time do I need to commit?
We ask for a commitment of approx. 20 hours per week – this will be made up of evenings, weekends, meetings and carrying out office tasks from home. Times are extremely flexible to suit your other commitments.
Where will I be based?
You will be based at home but you will be travelling across the region for promotional activity and team meetings.
- A ‘hands-on’ approach is required, as you’ll often be volunteering outside of normal working hours and outside at events
- As this role is home based, you must have a suitable place to work, a computer / laptop and access to the internet
- A full and clean driving licence and access to a car is desirable but is not essential
- The role will involve extensive travel within the region
How do I apply?
For more information about the Regional Internship scheme, the application process and tips for creating a strong application, read Your Internship Information Pack.
Other opportunities available
Events Internship (Regional)
Cancer Research UK’s Events Internship is a fantastic opportunity for you to play a part in the planning and delivery of our events portfolio including Race for Life. Volunteering alongside our Area Event Managers, you’ll use your creative flair to enhance participants’ experience of our events by planning course entertainment and collaborating with other departments to bring our science to life. You’ll play an instrumental part in ensuring our events are well managed and delivered to the highest standard and help us recruit volunteers to support on the day.
This role would suit an enthusiastic self-starter looking for an opportunity to enhance their event management skills within a world-class charity.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.