Regional Events Internship (North Region)
We’re looking for a committed, enthusiastic individual with an interest in event management, to become a valued intern in our Events team, supporting us in planning and delivering Race for Life events.
Why we need you:
There are over 200 cancers and we won’t give up until we find cures for them all. That’s why we’re looking for an Events Intern to join us in beating cancer sooner. Cancer Research UK’s Events Internship is a fantastic opportunity for you to play a part in the planning and delivery of our events portfolio including Race for Life. Volunteering alongside our Area Event Managers, you’ll use your creative flair to enhance participants’ experience of our events. You’ll play an instrumental part in ensuring our events are well managed and delivered to the highest standard and help us recruit volunteers to support on the day.
This role would suit an enthusiastic self-starter looking for an opportunity to enhance their event management skills within a world-class charity.
What will I be doing?
- Enhancing the participant experience – researching and coordinating course entertainment for events in your region i.e. source and contact local bands, cheerleading groups, music groups and choirs
- Recruiting volunteers and co-ordinating their support at events
- Helping to save the charity money by sourcing discounted or free accommodation for staff and volunteers supporting at events
- Helping to save the charity money by sourcing free or discounted snacks for volunteers helping at events
- Bringing our science to life – collaborating with other departments in Cancer Research UK to bring our science and research to the event and highlighting to our participants what we do as a charity and where their money goes
- Assisting the Event Manager on a particular element of the event, for example course design, marshal locations, site design
What skills will I gain?
- Event management skills
- Project management skills
- Interpersonal skills by collaborating with teams across the charity
- The ability to adhere to the Cancer Research UK brand, and be innovative with its use
- Interpersonal skills by engaging the local community and businesses in supporting our Race for Life events
- Relationship management skills in coordinating volunteers for events
- Influencing and negotiation skills through liaising with local organisations
- The ability to undertake tasks autonomously and independently from home as well as on site across your region
What skills do I need?
- Strong organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- A driven and self-motivated attitude
- The ability to use your initiative and maintain motivation when undertaking tasks independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Enthusiastic with the ability to proactively seek new opportunities
- Problem solving skills
How much time do I need to commit?
Ideally, we would like someone who can commit to 20 hours a week for 12 weeks, but the scheme is flexible and this can be discussed on a 1 to 1 basis.
Where will I be based?
You will be based at home but you will be travelling across the region for team meetings, 1 to1 meetings and to support the Event Managers.
What support will I get?
- An induction day providing you with an overview of the work of Cancer Research UK and how your role fits into the organisation.
- CV and job application support from your manager, ensuring it’s tailored to your desired career path.
- The chance to build a support network of other interns volunteering in your local area.
- As this role is home based, you must have a suitable place to work, a computer / laptop and access to the internet
- A full and clean driving licence and access to a car is desirable but is not essential
How do I apply?
For more information about the Regional Internship scheme, the application process and tips for creating a strong application, read Your Internship Information Pack.
Other opportunities available
Regional Events Marketing Internship (Regional)
Cancer Research UK’s Regional Events Marketing Internship is a fantastic opportunity for you to play a part in the successful promotion of our Race for Life events. Volunteering alongside our Area Marketing Managers, you’ll galvanise support for Race for Life in your local area, creating new and interesting marketing pieces, promotional opportunities and media coverage, both in the lead up to and during events. Joining other local volunteers you will help ensure promotional events are delivered successfully.
This role would suit an out-going and approachable person who is interested in Events Marketing.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.